Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
If the bike is at 6k on the original tires, I'd replace them before the trip. One thing I learned the hard way is that traveling long distances at higher speeds with a bunch of extra crap loaded on the bike can burn up a tire a LOT faster than normal riding.

I don't think 5k between changes will be an issue with synthetic.

As long as you keep the chain clean and oiled, 15k should be no problem for the chain... I actually got better than 25k out of the chain on my SV with a Scottoiler.

Thanks for the input. I was figuring that maybe I could order new tires and have them sent to some of my family that I will be staying with and then use the time to have new one put on versus starting with a fresh pair.

I have a mini can of chain lube so I will have to be sure to put some on every morning. Is there a visual way of knowing when a chain is done? I know that I can look at the sprocket and see the wear but what about the chain? I would assume they should only be replaced together front sprocket included right?

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #32
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I have a mini can of chain lube so I will have to be sure to put some on every morning. Is there a visual way of knowing when a chain is done? I know that I can look at the sprocket and see the wear but what about the chain? I would assume they should only be replaced together front sprocket included right?
You *really* should lube the chain at the end of the day once you stop, while it's still hot.

The chain will start *kinking* when it's getting done. I only replace them as a set. I think I'm on set # 4 or 5 now on the Busa, but then again, it's sitting on 52,000 miles.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

That makes sense. I suppose in the weeks up to departure I will do a huge tear down and see what needs to be replaced right away and what sort of things I should bring with me.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #34
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Looks like a good ride, and I wish you luck.

I do agree with others though. To find some better roads and scenery in the midwest, from Indy go north to northers IA, central SD, and then across Northern WY. There are some really cool roads from Gillette to Yellowstone park.

Keep in mind though that in April there is a good chance there could still be (a lot) of snow around, especially through Yellowstone.

Best of luck with everything, and I have relatives in Gillette WY, and Provo UT if you need something in those areas let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #35
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
That makes sense. I suppose in the weeks up to departure I will do a huge tear down and see what needs to be replaced right away and what sort of things I should bring with me.
I'm going to make a suggestion here.

Any and all maintenance you plan to do prior to departure should be completed at least one month before you leave. That gives you 30 days to shakedown your work and make sure that you have made any repairs or replacements correctly.

You don't want to find out after the bike is loaded down and you're 500 miles from home that you left a clip out, or forgot to plug in a socket somewhere.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #36
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Probably a good idea Grex, I was thinking of a round trip to Ohio and back before the big trip just to test out packing and the bike.