Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR
Default Gun Safe Questions

Yes, another "gun" question on a bike forum, go figure... it's winter in Ohio and I have nothing better to do than wish. Wish for more money so I can afford everything I want.

Anyway, what are the pros and cons of a composite door. Liberty and Heritage seem to the two popular brands of safes sold at the local store. The Liberty have a composite door where the Heritage does not.

Just wondering thoughts on this....
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Given the knowledge base of the average thief, I don't think it matters. There aren't many people who can break into a half-way decent safe, without dragging it into the woods first.

Anything heavy, that's attached to your house, (bolted to the floor, studs, foundation...) will probably be there when you get home.

JC
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Given the knowledge base of the average thief, I don't think it matters. There aren't many people who can break into a half-way decent safe, without dragging it into the woods first.

Anything heavy, that's attached to your house, (bolted to the floor, studs, foundation...) will probably be there when you get home.

JC
Agreed, anything that locks and can't leave your house is good. If someone is motivated enough to get into any gun safe then you really have no way of stopping them, and you're probably already dead, or not going to stop them anyway. Save your money for bullets
Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Agreed, anything that locks and can't leave your house is good. If someone is motivated enough to get into any gun safe then you really have no way of stopping them, and you're probably already dead, or not going to stop them anyway. Save your money for bullets
This. Get something reasonable and bolt it down to the floor...good enough. I don't know you but I doubt that you're rich enough to merit world class safe-crackers breaking into your house...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Vance Outdoors has the Liberty Centurion 20 and 23 for $600 and $650 in the sale flyer they are sending out.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf
Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Vance Outdoors has the Liberty Centurion 20 and 23 for $600 and $650 in the sale flyer they are sending out.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf
I wonder if it's $700 in shipping fee's as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Thread jack ! Anyone have one of those little ones that reads your fingerprints? Not for thieves but for safety reasons. Are they decent?
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

The safest gun safes are the ones thieves don't recognize as a safe. One of the most elegant solutions I have seen is a wal mart metal gun locker with a industrial breaker handle bolted to it and a couple of pieces of conduit running in and out. bolted to a wall. IT doesn't announce there is something in here worth stealing traditional safes do.
We do have one of the little fingerprints units. It is a cheapo lock box with a slightly more sophisticated lock it works most of the time. It runs on batteries so if you don't change the batteries you are left to look for the key, Which is a bitch cause to to quote Col Cooper " You very rarely need a a gun but when you do you need it Very Badly"
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Thanks everyone.

Hydrant - I saw those prices at Buckeye. I check there frequently because they do have awesome pricing on most everything.

I was asking more about the door in terms of fire/water more than security from thieves.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
The safest gun safes are the ones thieves don't recognize as a safe. One of the most elegant solutions I have seen is a wal mart metal gun locker with a industrial breaker handle bolted to it and a couple of pieces of conduit running in and out. bolted to a wall. IT doesn't announce there is something in here worth stealing traditional safes do.
We do have one of the little fingerprints units. It is a cheapo lock box with a slightly more sophisticated lock it works most of the time. It runs on batteries so if you don't change the batteries you are left to look for the key, Which is a bitch cause to to quote Col Cooper " You very rarely need a a gun but when you do you need it Very Badly"
Really got a link? That sounds sweet!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote