Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

We had a 21' Bayliner Capri and a 17' Glastron Bayflight when I was growing up. Both had Volvo-Penta 130 hp I/O motors. They were very solid and we could tip the Bayliner almost totally over carving through the water.

If I get the chance and the money, I'd like to restore the Bayliner (it's been sitting for like 10 years) but put in a bigger power plant.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Does anyone here have any experience with prop selection? Looking to replace the aluminum prop with something to provide better holeshot on a Merc 3.0L 135hp sterndrive. Researching this is providing nothing more than equal amounts of positive comments and negative comments for each option I look at (3 vs. 4 vs. 5 blade, etc.) I feel as if I'm getting nowhere.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #43
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Willing to give up a mile or two on top end? Get a whale tale/stabilizer. Made a world of difference on my '18 I/O ( 175hp Mercruiser V-6 ). Went from about 6-8 seconds to on plane to about half that.

Made it easier to pop waterskiers out of the water and made it more stable too.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Stainless will also help. It won't flex as much as the aluminum. Just know the waters your using it in. If there is a lot of underwater logs, then stick with alum. On aluminum the blades will break before the internals.

I would try to call the manufacturer, they could probably give you a good recommendation. Just know what you plan to do, what's your RPM's (to know if you can go up or down in pitch, and to see if you have any prop slip).
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #45
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Stainless will also help. It won't flex as much as the aluminum. Just know the waters your using it in. If there is a lot of underwater logs, then stick with alum. On aluminum the blades will break before the internals.

I would try to call the manufacturer, they could probably give you a good recommendation. Just know what you plan to do, what's your RPM's (to know if you can go up or down in pitch, and to see if you have any prop slip).
Definitely Stainless over aluminum.

The dealer should have some recommendations on blade pitch. I can't imagine a 5 blade prop on a boat that size.

Also, if there are underwater obstructions to worry about I'd got composite or "breakaway" before aluminum.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #46
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

I should have specified that I'm going with stainless. Most modern day props (even SS) have breakaway hubs, so worrying about hitting something and causing problems with the internals is a thing of the past. One of the more useful things I learned in researching this.

Haven't looked into the whale tail - thanks for the suggestion.

As for 5-blades on a small HP motor, again, some people have used the HighFive props on this engine and say there is an absolute difference with holeshot, but they lost 1-2 mph on the top. For every one of those comments I find someone stating it's a bad idea for various reasons. LOL

I will probably just have to bite the bullet and experiment with a best guess - prob a 3-blade SS.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Problem solved.

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtf-wed-03_28_12-500-28.jpg (76.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

I would be willing to bet that a 3-4 blade is your best bet. I have a 19P 3 blade SS on my 22' Sea Ray open bow.

There is a few places, and let me check if I can dig them up, but they will give loner props out for trying. I know there is places that deal with the high dollar powerboat props, but let me see if they have run-about stuff, or even recommendations. Let me check my powerboat forums.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #49
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
I would be willing to bet that a 3-4 blade is your best bet. I have a 19P 3 blade SS on my 22' Sea Ray open bow.

There is a few places, and let me check if I can dig them up, but they will give loner props out for trying. I know there is places that deal with the high dollar powerboat props, but let me see if they have run-about stuff, or even recommendations. Let me check my powerboat forums.
Cool - thanks. I'm looking at a Michigan Wheel SS 3-blade 19P for my 18' Sea Ray open bow. Just in no rush to pull the trigger right now as it will be a few weeks before we get out on the water anyway. I have a pile of stuff sitting on the boat waiting for me to have a weekend free.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

http://www.bblades.com/

This place is in Wisconsin. I don't know if they do a prop exchange but they should be able help ya as to what your wanting. They deal in high dollar race props for powerboats, but I saw they have some props for runabouts too.