Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Exclamation Learn Sarver Heart Center’s Continuous Chest Compression CPR

Sarver Heart Center’s newest video makes it easy to learn Continuous Chest Compression CPR. Every three days, more Americans die from sudden cardiac arrest than the number who died in the 9-11 attacks. You can lessen this recurring loss by learning this hands-only CPR method that doubles a person’s chance of surviving cardiac arrest. Watch physician researchers Gordon A. Ewy, MD, and Karl Kern, MD, demonstrate the easy, life-saving method that they developed at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.

http://ahsc.arizona.edu/node/730

Watch the 6 minute video and learn a new, hands only CPR technique. No more mouth to mouth or stopping to check for a pulse.

You could save the life of a loved one

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0&ob=av2n

JC
Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Alright, I can see how this works but my problem is that they said you don't check for a pulse or clear the airway. If you have a pulse you don't need chest compression, you need oxygen. And for me to get oxygen to you, chest compressions or not, you need a clear airway.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Alright, I can see how this works but my problem is that they said you don't check for a pulse or clear the airway. If you have a pulse you don't need chest compression, you need oxygen. And for me to get oxygen to you, chest compressions or not, you need a clear airway.
If you've had a heart attack and your heart is fibulating,( fluttering without really pumping the blood ) this method will pump blood to your brain.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
This has been the CPR standard for a few years, the thinking behind it is that your blood has 20-30 minutes worth of oxygen in your blood supply without needing to breath. Proponents of this method contend that you someone who is having a heart attack should be under the care of trained paramedics within the first 10 minutes, and they can clear the airway and put you on a high O2 mix without much delay.

The creators of this method also hope to stop people from deciding if someone is alive (and thus worth starting CPR) or not by just automatically starting chest compression. An estimated 10% of people who have a heart attack that can be saved by CPR are declared dead on the scene by people who are not trained to declare someone dead. Basically innocent bystanders kill 10% of savable heart attack victims.

Another 20% of people are killed because potential lifesavers don't want to lock lips with a disgusting looking or smelling individual, so they let someone die because their personal hygienic or appearance are less than perfect. Removing the possibility of bodily fluid transfer increases the amount of people who are willing to attempt CPR immensely.

Moral of the story: a shit load of people die needlessly because other folks are too stupid or vein to help, and this is designed to increase the number of people who survive a heart attack by increasing the number of attempts at CPR, while sacrificing a much smaller number of people who become brain damaged because of oxygen starvation to the brain.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I've always started with chest compressions. Most people I've seen start with compressions despite that in many states you were suppose to do ABC (airway, breathing, circulation). As in make sure the airway is clear, get the preson breathing, and then get hte blood moving. To do that in real life I feel wastes time.

Of course, half the time I show up to an arrest the person basically died a long time ago becuase people are just standing around (even in nursing homes). If they do come back (very rare) they may live for a few days.

I did have a full save that I did off duty.

Best song that I was taught to was "another bites the dust". Perfect rhythem.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Thanks for posting this!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I always wear a condom when doing CPR.

This needs to be taught in school. Even if Chardonnay doesn't learn her math, at least she may be able to save a life.

Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
Rugby66x
Trailer Queen

Moto: Shadow bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Of course, half the time I show up to an arrest the person basically died a long time ago becuase people are just standing around (even in nursing homes). If they do come back (very rare) they may live for a few days.
Showed up to a nursing home the other day and they were actually doing compressions but on a bed with no back board and the patient was on a simple mask w/ liters of o2.
Rugby66x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

The other thing that helps now is the availability of AED's. what usualy kills a person who has an MI is a fatal arrhythmia (ie ventricular tachycardia) if they have a shockable rhythm the aed may be able to get you back to a normal sinus rhythm and at least buy some time beofre paramedics arrive.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote