Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #41
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
the problem though is toyota will build the truck but compared to the Domestics it'll be more expensive up front. not many people will buy it because of that. Toyota needs to bring back the quality BASE line trucks like they built their name on.

IE MY TRUCK... fucker doesn't have power anything... ok... it has power steering... but a rubber mat for a floor covering. manual windows... no A/C... 5 speed... but 1 ton rated axles... fully boxed frame... a motor that'll run 250,000 miles easy if you maintain it, and 150,000 easy if you don't.
those were the good ole trucks right there. the 4x4 with a 22RE under the hood and a 5 spd, with just like you said, bare essentials. they're still popular pickups, if they arent totally rusted out. the beds WERE the weak links though, but overall an outstanding truck that pretty much set the new standard for quality.

problem is that the masses wont buy a bare minimum type truck, its gotta have bells and whistles, satellite radio, gps, fruity air conditioning, what? a good ole road map, and the windows down at 55 aint good enough?
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #42
squidward
KTM? Who makes those?

Moto: 09 KTM 450 XC-F

Just a couple quick things.

The Chevrolet Citation(x-body car) was actually Motor Trend's Car of the Year in 1980.

The only car that ever gave me any real issues was a brand new 1996 Honda Civic.....bought back on the lemon law due to numerous issues.

Oddly enough, I had a 1997 Dodge Neon that was flawless for the 80k miles that I had it before being asspacked by a Grand Cherokee.

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche with 120k miles and no issues with minimal maintenance. It's been a great truck.

I also have a 2000 S-10 that is obviously cheaply built, but has never let me down. 130k miles on it and it starts every time, runs fine and still gets me the 22mpg that it always has. That said, the interior rattles can only be masked by Tejano music(blends in with the sounds of maracas). Third door can no longer be opened as the handle broke off in my hands while opening it one day. The driver's seat can not be reclined anymore since the recline lever sheared off ....and I don't mean the plastic piece, the metal shaft snapped in two. The lumbar support on the seat is nonexistent at this time. The armrest console lid will not latch and the plastic shell beneath the upholstery on that lid is busted. Various pieces of trim are loose, and the inner door panel on the passenger side is cracked at the aft lower area.

Any manufacturer can build a turd. Even the mighty King of Quality Toyota. Recently looked into the Corolla and Matrix and those interiors are shit....kind of like my S-10. I won't even mention the 5.7L cam failures on the Tundras. Fortunately, these days, the manufacturers seem to be more even in regards to quality of current offerings than in past decades.

Last edited by squidward; 11-30-2008 at 02:59 PM..
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #43
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Because in America you ain't cool unless you have 5X more vehicle than you need.
True dat.

My neighbor has an old Toyota pickup with a blown head gasket... I think it's actually on it's 2nd head gasket... It's been sitting, non-running since I moved in a year ago... One of these days I'm going to offer him $100 for it or something... as soon as I figure out what I'm going to do with it and can justify a project... I think it'd be good to hone up on my automechanical skills and maybe make some sort of Mad Max vehicle out of it...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

There will always be a need/want for big vehicles.. Americans have campers and boats. Contractors need 3/4, 1 ton trucks to tow equipment and trailers...

Then there are the people that don't care about gas mileage they simply want to have a big vehicle.. This is america...not Europe...yet
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #45
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
True dat.

My neighbor has an old Toyota pickup with a blown head gasket... I think it's actually on it's 2nd head gasket... It's been sitting, non-running since I moved in a year ago... One of these days I'm going to offer him $100 for it or something... as soon as I figure out what I'm going to do with it and can justify a project... I think it'd be good to hone up on my automechanical skills and maybe make some sort of Mad Max vehicle out of it...
What year? 4x4 or 2wd? I may have to beat you to it!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #46
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
What year? 4x4 or 2wd? I may have to beat you to it!
It's a 4x4... I have no idea what year... Hell, I don't know shit about it... I remember talking to him about it when I first moved in... He said the thermostat went to hell and the head gasket was blown... also said it was the 2nd head gasket. Fuckin' truck hasn't moved since I moved in.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #47
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

does it look like mine? does it have a solid front axle or IFS?

if it's solid front... offer him $200 and I'll give you $800. seriously. I need a solid axle to do my swap.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #48
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
does it look like mine? does it have a solid front axle or IFS?

if it's solid front... offer him $200 and I'll give you $800. seriously. I need a solid axle to do my swap.
Jesus H Christ Ebbs... I don't know shit about the fuckin' thing... it does resemble yours though...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #49
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well look under the front... if it's got a solid front axle it's what I need.

the solid axles are getting rare... as the last year they were made was 85. so their in high demand.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #50
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
well look under the front... if it's got a solid front axle it's what I need.

the solid axles are getting rare... as the last year they were made was 85. so their in high demand.
I'm positive it's newer than an '85... and I'll be damned if I'm crawling under my neighbor's truck to find out for your dumbass.