Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #111
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You have to admit one thing though. There are not very many "I used to ride a Buell" people. I meet many of ex GSXR or ex CBR riders. From what I have seen, once you own a Buell, you love them.The only exception is the Blast owners that are looking to move up.

That's only because they don't want to admit that everyone was right!!! Aren't they the sam e kind of people that buy harleys as well? Or Moto Guzzis'? Are they buying a bike or an image? Nah, I hear ya but I've met all kinds of "ex" riders... I'm an ex-Harley guy... If you went back in time 25+ years and told me that I would be riding Jap bikes, I'd tell you you were fucking nuts!!!Then I was a Yamaha man, I would have bet money 10 years ago that I'd never buy a Suzuki!

Besides you have to admit that there can be fierce loyalty to something even in the face of definitive proof that something better/cheaper/longer lasting/better performing/etc exists...Heck, Harley wrote the book on that shit!!! Look at two stroke dirt bikes, there are guys that refuse to switch regardless of what the data/numbers/facts show.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #112
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
You have to admit one thing though. There are not very many "I used to ride a Buell" people. I meet many of ex GSXR or ex CBR riders. From what I have seen, once you own a Buell, you love them.The only exception is the Blast owners that are looking to move up.
Sure, there are a lot of ex-GSXR or ex-sportbike owners, but most of that is simply because people get older. It doesn't prove that they suddenly decided Buells or something else was better, it may simply prove that they weren't comfortable on sportbikes anymore.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #113
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You're confused.

Buells appeal to people who don't give a shit about being the fastest, or riding the fastest bike.

I don't care if nobody else likes them. I actually prefer it.

But, I just know for a fact that the majority of people who talk shit about them have never really ridden one.

I came from a 600. I hated my bike when I first bought it. Then I got "it". It appeals to me because of its powerband, not in spite of it. I don't want something that makes top end power.

I could have bought a busa, or gixxer 1000. I wanted a buell. There was no brain washing. I made an informed decision based on a number of reasons.

I know it doesn't spec out as good as an equivalent race bike. And I'm fine with that.

I just hate to hear, "its a pos.". When I know it isn't. It keeps up with much faster bikes in the twisties. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm riding a slow bike fast. I should be left in the dust according to spec sheets.

But in real life, its more than capable. Its more than the sum of its parts.
I can agree to this. I think with the buells, they have a great suspension and frame setup. Superior I'm not sure but great. Combine that with all teh torque out of the apex and they are a great deal more leathal than people think.

I hear people all the time talk about the vtwin of the HD shaking... some view it as a bad thing where as I love it. Gives the bike character. It looks the same as a 1967. Not really but close. Still I appreciate the classic lines.

Like you said... its more than the sum of its parts. Even if those are great parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
For me, I take in what the bike was designed to do vs what it actually does.
Ya know... this is one thing most people dont get. This goes across the board. Chopper guys trying to get 140hp & torque and taking it to the drag strip. That is not what its designed for. Want to race at the drag get a busa or vrod. Guys with baggers doing the same. Fuckin stupid? Its an FLH. Ya know what that means? For Long Haul. Stretching out a swingarm on a 1000RR. Its not a f'in chopper!

Quote:
That is true. The cult type ownership is something that some love. I know I do and I don't own one. Its something that makes them different than the norm. I can respect that. For me, the more I know about the buells, the more I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Sure, there are a lot of ex-GSXR or ex-sportbike owners, but most of that is simply because people get older. It doesn't prove that they suddenly decided Buells or something else was better, it may simply prove that they weren't comfortable on sportbikes anymore.
That would be true for guys like me going from sportbikes to cruisers, choppers, baggers. But I think he means most people that go from a gsxr to a buell.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #114
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

A lot of people leave GSXRs because they are afraid that they will kill themselves, so they opt for something slower, more tame. makes sense.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #115
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
A lot of people leave GSXRs because they are afraid that they will kill themselves, so they opt for something slower, more tame. makes sense.
one of my friends rides a mean streak because he'd never have to change a front tire on a gsxr (if you catch my drift ) still, hes planning to turbo it
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #116
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:

I sold my gsxr because I wanted a twin. It was a really fun bike and I wish I would have kept it. It was a 98 600 and had on of the (IMO) best body designs.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote