Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
The 1125R, on the other hand....
Yes yes, I'm taking it easy through break-in.

You get all the top end rush of a 600 with the "fist of an angry god" torque of a twin.

Best of both worlds. Once the break in is done, you are gonna love that motor!

Make sure to set the suspension BY THE MANUAL. You can't set a Buell to "standard sportbike settings". It will make all the difference in the world.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #22
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
You get all the top end rush of a 600 with the "fist of an angry god" torque of a twin.

Best of both worlds. Once the break in is done, you are gonna love that motor!

Make sure to set the suspension BY THE MANUAL. You can't set a Buell to "standard sportbike settings". It will make all the difference in the world.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm actually waiting until initial break-in is done to mess with my suspension.
I need more time to get a feel for the bike so I'll have a better idea what needs adjusting.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The happy spot for the XB engine is around 4,000 and you ride the torque curve to around 6,000 and shift.

It ain't like a 600 where you have to rev the crap out of it.
Yea but if you compare the bike where it should be stacked up against...an inline liter bike... I don't have to rev the shit out of my bike for it to make power. Here we are again claiming Buells are superior because they are better than a 600... Now hopefully you can all realize that I'm kidding but you have to admit that it's kinda funny how that keeps happening...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Now hopefully you can all realize that I'm kidding but you have to admit that it's kinda funny how that keeps happening...
Claims of Buell superiority or you ... you know...doing that thing you do/
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #25
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea but if you compare the bike where it should be stacked up against...an inline liter bike... I don't have to rev the shit out of my bike for it to make power. Here we are again claiming Buells are superior because they are better than a 600... Now hopefully you can all realize that I'm kidding but you have to admit that it's kinda funny how that keeps happening...

Considering we are talking about the air-cooled XB motor rather than the 1125 motor, your point is lost.

Would you like to compare how and where either a 600 or 1000 makes peak torque.

I'd be willing to bet that there is more torque in an XB motor at 4,000 than your GSXR at 4,000.

Compared to the XB mil, you do have to "rev the crap out of it" to get more torque.

Just sayin'.

--Erik Buell

Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Considering we are talking about the air-cooled XB motor rather than the 1125 motor, your point is lost.

Would you like to compare how and where either a 600 or 1000 makes peak torque.

I'd be willing to bet that there is more torque in an XB motor at 4,000 than your GSXR at 4,000.

Compared to the XB mil, you do have to "rev the crap out of it" to get more torque.

Just sayin'.
Buell
71.9 @ 5750

GSXR
79.9 @ 8500 and the GSXR is making about 65 ft/lbs at 4500

I'm not sure but I'm guessing they're the same or really close...and for the record, the Buell has 200 more ccs than my bike so nyahh!!! Anyway, I am honestly joking but if you want to get into it... I didn't force Buell to use an inferior engine configuration, you know. That's my biggest problem with this whole situation, first you all tell me how great the Buell is and then you start making excuses for the air cooled engine or the ZTL brakes, the 473lb weight, etc...I didn't design the fucking thing, why is it my fault? Anyway, I understand that some people love these bikes and that's great, but that doesn't make them "better". The fact remains that both the 1125R and the XB12 have more than 1000ccs and shouldn't be compared to 600s like it's some "apple to apple" comparison. That's bullshit imho!

Hey, here's another chart and this bike does have more torque at 4000!!!

Anyway, this is the very definition of beating a dead horse! Get it? Buell's symbol is Pegasus! Come on man, you're taking this way too serious! I'm sure that you'll do fine and this will all be a memory in a few years. Hell, I had money on a GTS1000 and got a V-Max instead. I was going to buy it for almost $13,000! Three months later Yamaha dropped it and the price to about $8,000... God, I would have been pissed!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

I don't think anyone is making any excuses for either Buell power plant here (or the ZTL brakes).

The engines are just different.

You know what is interesting about your first graph? The Buell is the ONLY air-cooled bike in that line up. Almost like someone WANTED to show Buell in a bad light. That couldn't be right, though, could it?

Why not compare the Buell against OTHER air-cooled bikes? Talk about "apples to apples".

You also do understand that those charts are showing HP not Torque, right? I think that was the original point.

I have two engines. One that has a displacement of 5.7L and one that has 3.2L. Which one makes the most HP? Which one makes the most Torque?

--Erik Buell

Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Claims of Buell superiority or you ... you know...doing that thing you do/
Yea I know... I was really teasing. It really is a moot point. Besides, regardless of brand, you would be hard pressed to ever get me on another V-Twin! I did like my V4 in the V-Max but I've been an inline 4 man ever since! IMO there are two kinds of sport bike riders, v-twin lovers and the sane!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I don't think anyone is making any excuses for either Buell power plant here (or the ZTL brakes).

The engines are just different.

You know what is interesting about your first graph? The Buell is the ONLY air-cooled bike in that line up. Almost like someone WANTED to show Buell in a bad light. That couldn't be right, though, could it?

Why not compare the Buell against OTHER air-cooled bikes? Talk about "apples to apples".

You also do understand that those charts are showing HP not Torque, right? I think that was the original point.

I have two engines. One that has a displacement of 5.7L and one that has 3.2L. Which one makes the most HP? Which one makes the most Torque?

Yea it's fucking impossible to find a torque chart!!!! I posted those for illustration purposes only.

As far as "apples to apples" goes, well hey your boy brought his product to market as "competition" to the Japanese. Besides, who else is stupid enough to run an air cooled motor on a sport bike in the 21st century? Who would you like to compare Buells to? I mean OTHER than inline 600s? I mean, they get compared to other twins of similar ccs and you aren't happy, they get compared to inlines of similar ccs and you aren't happy. Are you seriously telling me that the only way your bikes can legitimately compete with the Italians and the Japanese is if we only compare them to bikes with half the displacement? Gee I wonder why they went out of business....

Oh and my point about ZTL and whatever was that it was marketed as an improvement but when ever the brakes are criticized...

Dude, I'm hoping that you are just messing around and aren't serious here... you seriously sound like the guys on Pinks that bring a car to race and spend the whole show complaining that the other team's car is better/faster and they should be handicapped accordingly....

BTW I'm sure that Buell's demise was all part of an elaborate conspiracy on the part of the American motorcycle press to destroy the only American sportbike...

Ha found one! I believe it shows that a GSXR1000 makes about 65 ft/lbs at 4500 which is probably more than most, if not all 600s make period...

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 10-25-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Suzuki was running an air-cooled motor until the last iteration of the Bandit, Ducati STILL runs several air-cooled models, as does BMW.

Honda is coming out with a new air-cooled model.

The sad part is that 600 and 1000 fan boys can't think of anything else to compare so they try to compare dislike engines to try to prove their point.

The reason there are not two flavors, 600 and 1000 is that people want and buy other flavors. A liter bike is fine, but it isn't the pinnacle of all motorcycle existence.

There isn't a SINGLE liter bike owner that has the ability to utilize 100% of their bike.

Period.

Unless you race, you have unused capacity. So what?

A liter bike on the street is like a mom with an H2. You are NEVER going to have to scale Pike's Peak to get the groceries or take your kids to soccer practice. Why have an 8000lb behemoth with 18" ground clearance and the ability to scale at 45+ degrees?

Just to say you have it? Whatever makes you happy. Different strokes.

--Erik Buell