Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Keeping dreaming... Twin Cam motor is a great and new motor design. We aren't talking about your dad's old Knuckle!

The 2009 FLH touring models have a brand new frame. Crappy suspension? The new FLH models are carvours... your rocket wouldn't perform if carrying around this big a bike. Susprised you didn't mention brakes... oh yeah... that's cause they are carrying a complete Brembo brake system with intergrated ABS... oh I almost forgot... no ugly abs tone ring... internal in the hub.

Lets not ignore that not all the jap cruisers combined can they even compare to just HD branded aftermarket support. Not to mention the manufactures that do carry metric aftermarket parts carry at least 2 to 3 times more HD aftermarket.

You shouldn't speak about what you don't know or understand.
Well that is just great, now explain the price disparity between a Harley and a Jap cruiser.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Default No Fighting in the club house

Lets all just calm down and go get another drink.

I know that when buying an HD you are paying a considerable sum for the name, however, you can't deny that the bikes look damn nice. Not to mention the support and the service you can get with a small percentage of add to the price in financing. I refer, of course, to the no ride interuption clause stating if while on the road for a trip and you break down they will put you up in a hotel, near a HD service center, trailer the bike to a shop, repair and get you back on the road ASAP. Thats a pretty good assurance. I haven't seen one metric shop even offer such a thing not to mention when I bought my brand new Shadow Sabre I only got a 1 year 12k mile warranty. Minimum the HD comes with is a 3 yr powertrain and electric warranty and service package.

Then the after market support is absolutely incredible. I mean you can get a lot of parts and such for the metrics but they aren't garranteed to work or fit and the companies that sell usually give you a headache trying to return.
I have gone through 2 Vance & Hines baffles and finally had to just run 2 in long bolts with the Nylok nuts and some serious blue thread lock to keep the F-in thing in the pipe and keep from hearing my neighbors complaining.

So I guess that I will pay the price and become one of the millions of HD followers. I am not doing it because others give me shit or just fit in. Gas Man can attest that I march do the beat of my OWN drum and tend to do things a little extreme. So paying the cash for the Ultra just seems to be what is completely inline with my current standards. I like the bike. I want the bike. I WILL get the bike.

Now I just hope that I don't lay it down, and scuff the shit out of it. I will just cry if that happens.

Caveman
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
we get a lot of guys up here who rock the vest but forgot to bring the bike with them
Naw really cuz I thought they all park them around the corner.

There is a guy down the street from me who every saturday gets on his bike and rides it less than a mile to the bar at the other end of the street, then after a few hours in the bar rides it back home. I don't think I've ever seen him actually turn the bike except into his driveway.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post

I know that when buying an HD you are paying a considerable sum for the name, however, you can't deny that the bikes look damn nice. Not to mention the support and the service you can get with a small percentage of add to the price in financing. I refer, of course, to the no ride interuption clause stating if while on the road for a trip and you break down they will put you up in a hotel, near a HD service center, trailer the bike to a shop, repair and get you back on the road ASAP. Thats a pretty good assurance. I haven't seen one metric shop even offer such a thing not to mention when I bought my brand new Shadow Sabre I only got a 1 year 12k mile warranty. Minimum the HD comes with is a 3 yr powertrain and electric warranty and service package.

Then the after market support is absolutely incredible. I mean you can get a lot of parts and such for the metrics but they aren't garranteed to work or fit and the companies that sell usually give you a headache trying to return.
I have gone through 2 Vance & Hines baffles and finally had to just run 2 in long bolts with the Nylok nuts and some serious blue thread lock to keep the F-in thing in the pipe and keep from hearing my neighbors complaining.

So I guess that I will pay the price and become one of the millions of HD followers. I am not doing it because others give me shit or just fit in. Gas Man can attest that I march do the beat of my OWN drum and tend to do things a little extreme. So paying the cash for the Ultra just seems to be what is completely inline with my current standards. I like the bike. I want the bike. I WILL get the bike.

Now I just hope that I don't lay it down, and scuff the shit out of it. I will just cry if that happens.

Caveman
I'm just teasing you guys, Sean. Get what you want man, I took a lot of flak for getting the Beemer and I am absolutely loving it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I have bought my share of vehicles but I never got treated better and with speedier service than at the H-D shop. Even better than any car dealership I have shopped. They really went out of the way to make me feel special

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I have bought my share of vehicles but I never got treated better and with speedier service than at the H-D shop. Even better than any car dealership I have shopped. They really went out of the way to make me feel special
It may just be the sign of the times. When I was searching for the beemer at dealerships, people were practically begging me to buy their bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Well that is just great, now explain the price disparity between a Harley and a Jap cruiser.
Well allot of what I said goes into that. Plus the all union shops that build the bike in the states. Same reason why stuff that says "made in the USA" is more money than "made in china". Hell even the victories I listed at in the high teens. Still cheaper than HD but more than jap cruisers.

I can tell ya. I work on allot of bikes and Caveman can attest to this. I don't think any of the jap cruisers can hold a candle to the HD bikes. There is just so much more R&D into the HD. Did you know that HD even puts R&D into the sound coming from the motors? Maybe that doesn't matter to some but it does to many. When listening to exhaust notes on cruisers... they are all compared to the sound of an HD v-twin. That is just how it is.

How about that HD is the only company that has put in the R&D to still run a non-water cooled bike that meets EPA restrictions?

What about a better warrenty? What about dealerships that are HUGE HUGE HUGE steps above ANY metric dealership?

HD sets the bar in the cruiser world. EVERYBODY else tries to get a piece of their table scraps. That goes from Big Dog, Victory, Metric, etc. After all they are the #1 motorcycle in sales WORLD WIDE.

They also sell more than just bikes. They have figured out how to even market themselves to people that aren't bikers. It all adds up to the HD cultrure.

Quote:

Caveman
He has a metric cruiser... and wants a HD. Why wouldn't he just buy another metric? Cause they simply dont measure up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'm just teasing you guys, Sean. Get what you want man, I took a lot of flak for getting the Beemer and I am absolutely loving it.
And I still give you slack for the BMW yet you know I respect the hell out of the bike. I can do things that no HD could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Same goes for me. My dealership treats me like GOLD. When I had the Ultra in for a fault code on the throttle. The parts were back ordered for 2 weeks. What did the dealership do? They called in a favor from the York, PA factory where they assemble my bike and got the parts off the assembly line. THAT IS FUCKIN SERVICE!!!

I walk into ANY metric bike dealership and they have shit for brains working there. The HD guys are just not that way. They make service appts. Have while you wait oil change appts. Drop your bike off sunday evening/mon morning for a service interval and they gaurentee it back by Friday morning.

Does the metric shop wash your bike after they service it? My HD does.

Will your metric shop come pick up your bike from where ever for no charge and drop it off if need be? My HD does.

How many parts whether its service parts or aftermarket does your metric shop carry in stock? My HD carries a freakin lot.

What about an apperal and gear selection that looks like a section out of a Target in aspect of size??

Organized rally's, rides, charity things, etc...

Women only functions with free food, drinks, and non-money gambling?

Riders Edge training school.

The list goes on and on but if you aren't part of it you don't really understand. And i don't mean that wrong.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #18
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Default Its cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Hey Trip I know you don't mean anything bad about it. My whole take the motorcycle scene is this: Drive what you want, take care of it, take ownership of it, and love it, and last but definatly not least RIDE THE MF-ER. If you do that, then your a biker. As long as you got your knees in the breeze and you are enjoying yourself no matter what you ride your a biker. I just hate the people who will only buy the HD's because thats whats popular. I bought my first bike was Yamaha 535, it was small, but it still hauled ass when you gave a twist of the wrist and I was on two wheels. I buy bikes that I LIKE not what I think the guy next to me likes. Now the fact that when a fine piece of ass notices you on the HD and comments.....thats just icing on the cake.

Caveman
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
My whole take the motorcycle scene is this: Drive what you want, take care of it, take ownership of it, and love it, and last but definatly not least RIDE THE MF-ER. If you do that, then your a biker. As long as you got your knees in the breeze and you are enjoying yourself no matter what you ride your a biker. I just hate the people who will only buy the HD's because thats whats popular. I bought my first bike was Yamaha 535, it was small, but it still hauled ass when you gave a twist of the wrist and I was on two wheels. I buy bikes that I LIKE not what I think the guy next to me likes. Now the fact that when a fine piece of ass notices you on the HD and comments.....thats just icing on the cake.

Caveman
Ok this pretty much sums it up for me. Enjoy.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

There's very little doubt in my mind that my next bike will be a Harley-Davidson. I just dont know which one. I really really really want a XR1200. Thats more likely to be the next purchase. Probably sometime next year. Thinking ahead, the bike after that will probably be a HD Street Glide. I love the look of those things. And at this point in my life, I dont get to hit the twistie bits like I want to and I can't take more than a short time on a sportbike before I'm in pain.

For visual purposes, The XR:

The Street Glide:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote