Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

That XR is my next bike. As for cruiser? It will be the Hyosung GV650! fTW!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
That XR is my next bike. As for cruiser? It will be the Hyosung GV650! fTW!
I love the XR. Dealer let me take the boss's bike around the parking lot. From what I could tell at 15mph it was awesome.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

That is what is so cool about my HD dealer. They fire up bikes inside the immaculate sowroom, let you test ride anything from their fleet, wash my bike for any service even the recall, and have awesome events...
Back to the XR though. It really is a sweet looking ride and got high marks for handling which was why i stayed away from the 1200 sportster line ayway...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
That is what is so cool about my HD dealer. They fire up bikes inside the immaculate sowroom, let you test ride anything from their fleet, wash my bike for any service even the recall, and have awesome events...
Back to the XR though. It really is a sweet looking ride and got high marks for handling which was why i stayed away from the 1200 sportster line ayway...
Yeah I hear ya. My dealer doesn't wash my bike...but they treat me really well. Which is awesome, because I have to travel an hour to get there. But they know Buell and they are good people.

Last time I was there (strictly to pick up the gear lock) I told them I was interested in the XR. The only XR they had was the owners personal XR. They let me take it for a spin with the caveat that if I crashed it I was getting him fired.

They called me a few days later and said "Joe (White, the owner) said you can take the XR out on the street if you want." FUCKING AWESOME....except I live an hour away.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
There's very little doubt in my mind that my next bike will be a Harley-Davidson. I just dont know which one. I really really really want a XR1200. Thats more likely to be the next purchase. Probably sometime next year. Thinking ahead, the bike after that will probably be a HD Street Glide. I love the look of those things. And at this point in my life, I dont get to hit the twistie bits like I want to and I can't take more than a short time on a sportbike before I'm in pain.

The Street Glide:

The wife and I toured Arizona on a Street Glide. Nice bike but I definitely prefer the Ultra's myself.

When one finally makes it's way into our garage I forsee doing a hybrid job like Gasman's. Extra storage and wind protection when you want it, removable when you don't.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #26
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
The wife and I toured Arizona on a Street Glide. Nice bike but I definitely prefer the Ultra's myself.

When one finally makes it's way into our garage I forsee doing a hybrid job like Gasman's. Extra storage and wind protection when you want it, removable when you don't.
Really? What did you like better. I've never rode either of them. But I really like that look. Gas Man's rig is awesome. His setup in his cruising mode, much like the Street Glide, is what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Really? What did you like better. I've never rode either of them. But I really like that look. Gas Man's rig is awesome. His setup in his cruising mode, much like the Street Glide, is what I'm looking for.
I like the look of the Street Glide but for long hauls the Ultra is my choice.

I like the rear bag/trunk on the Ultra's. I toured two weeks out of one with a broken wrist and was able to fit all my luggage (including rehab equipment for the wrist).

With the back piece on, my wife likes having the backrest and arm rests. The rear foot rests are more like floorboards instead of pegs.

The lower windscreen looks better but doesn't work for my height. On the Ultra the air is directed over or around me. On the SG, the lower screen directed the wind right onto my helmet. On long highway streches, I had to slouch to avoid the buffeting.

I like what Gasman did with his, it seems like a great compromise between the two bikes.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:

I like the rear bag/trunk on the Ultra's. I toured two weeks out of one with a broken wrist and was able to fit all my luggage (including rehab equipment for the wrist).

With the back piece on, my wife likes having the backrest and arm rests. The rear foot rests are more like floorboards instead of pegs.

The lower windscreen looks better but doesn't work for my height. On the Ultra the air is directed over or around me. On the SG, the lower screen directed the wind right onto my helmet. On long highway streches, I had to slouch to avoid the buffeting.

I like what Gasman did with his, it seems like a great compromise between the two bikes.
Right on. The versatility of the trunk and taller windshield would be nice at times.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. My dealer doesn't wash my bike...but they treat me really well. Which is awesome, because I have to travel an hour to get there. But they know Buell and they are good people.

Last time I was there (strictly to pick up the gear lock) I told them I was interested in the XR. The only XR they had was the owners personal XR. They let me take it for a spin with the caveat that if I crashed it I was getting him fired.

They called me a few days later and said "Joe (White, the owner) said you can take the XR out on the street if you want." FUCKING AWESOME....except I live an hour away.
We should go there before the rally. I can get a t-shirt... Maybe let ya try the ultra...

Quote:

Quote:
The SG is a "sportier" version of the ultra. Drop the trunk, lowers, short windshield, no bag surrounds. Its also 2" lower. I would love the lowered aspect for pushing it around in foot reverse. But when it comes to hauling a passenger you want the ultra. The rear suspension is beefier and will take the added weight better.

You will get to see me do my conversion when I get to your house. I will show up with the tall shield, trunk on, and backrest... strip all that down to my "Street Classic". Its heavon IMO.

Quote:

Yeah the foot boards all around are great. And what you all will realize is the awesome aftermarket like you have never had before. I myself has stuck with all HD only aftermarket but that's just me. the prices are USUALLY fair and you KNOW it will all fit without any question.

Quote:
Right on. The versatility of the trunk and taller windshield would be nice at times.
You are shittin. You'll see when I come out...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
We should go there before the rally. I can get a t-shirt... Maybe let ya try the ultra...

The SG is a "sportier" version of the ultra. Drop the trunk, lowers, short windshield, no bag surrounds. Its also 2" lower. I would love the lowered aspect for pushing it around in foot reverse. But when it comes to hauling a passenger you want the ultra. The rear suspension is beefier and will take the added weight better.

You will get to see me do my conversion when I get to your house. I will show up with the tall shield, trunk on, and backrest... strip all that down to my "Street Classic". Its heavon IMO.

Yeah the foot boards all around are great. And what you all will realize is the awesome aftermarket like you have never had before. I myself has stuck with all HD only aftermarket but that's just me. the prices are USUALLY fair and you KNOW it will all fit without any question.

You are shittin. You'll see when I come out...
You're selling me on this Ultra Classic, holmes. And we can definately run out to White's when you're in town. I need a few parts too...but I'm hoping to get those sooner than October.

Quote: