Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #31
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
Have you seen that they arent asking for bailouts?
Not yet, But I think they're about the only automakers who's not out looking for options.

Let me ask you, would you be as okay with this if it was Intel and AMD getting ready to close up?

I don't get why you think the world would be better with our choice of a Honda or a Toyota?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #32
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Let me ask you, would you be as okay with this if it was Intel and AMD getting ready to close up?
Yup - cause there will be jobs doing the same thing at ARM, IBM, SUN, Apple, Nvidia, Cisco, Mot, Freescale, Centaur, BroadCOM, Cadence, Synopsys, TSMC design services, UMC, etc. Plus, that industry isnt extending its hand - rather they are cutting expenses to work through this by themselves.

As those in the Auto manufacturing industry can work in other stateside manufacturing - of which I assume there are 1000s of companies out there doing similar work.

Nice attempt at deflection though.

(I did a few ninja edits)

Last edited by ducati_atx; 12-18-2008 at 02:01 PM..
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
1M jobs (as proclaimed by the auto industry) vs a country with 300M+ people? Not the end of the world.
Is that DIRECT jobs? The latest estimate for just the Province of Ontario is that up to 500K jobs could be lost, in both the auto makers and the attendant supply chain (parts sub-contractors, dealerships, etc.).
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Yup - cause there will be jobs doing the same thing at ARM, IBM, SUN, Apple, Nvidia, Cisco, Mot, Freescale, Centaur, BroadCOM, Cadence, Synopsys, TSMC design services, UMC, etc. Plus, that industry isnt extending its hand - rather they are cutting expenses to work through this by themselves.

Nice attempt at deflection though.
Will this seems a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face, I'm just trying to understand why.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #35
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Is that DIRECT jobs? The latest estimate for just the Province of Ontario is that up to 500K jobs could be lost, in both the auto makers and the attendant supply chain (parts sub-contractors, dealerships, etc.).
That was the auto industry's rollup for all primary and supplier jobs if the big 3 folded. I could look up the exact number and quotation if you wish. From memory it was ~1M jobs.

Edit: I also dont believe that just because a company goes into bankruptsy protection means that it will completely fold operations up. companies do it all the time. It however will mean that they can renegotiate their union contracts as well as stop paying benefits to former employees.

Last edited by ducati_atx; 12-18-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Will this seems a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face, I'm just trying to understand why.
No its apples and oranges... one is a job who's main qualification is who you kow to get the job. The other is a series of jobs where a majority of the population has MBAs, Masters or PhDs who are skilled enough to get jobs in other parts of the sector. In addition, the salary rates arent above industry norms.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Sucks, the permanent full time employees will continue to be paid during the shut down, slightly less than their regular wages.... I'm originally from Detroit, and most of my family worked in those plants, most have retired but a few are sure to be at home chillin for at least a month if not longer.
It doesn't really suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i heard the normally get 2 weeks during x-mas anyways, paid i'm sure........i would bet the next 2 are paid as well.
Yeah they get paid... the last 2 weeks are "un-enjoyment" but still pay for doing nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I believe Ford is closing for 3 weeks as well.
True...

But here's the thing people..

STOP LISTENING TO THE FUCKIN MEDIA!!

They all close their plants EVERY fucking year this time. Same thing in June. Its the fuckin media that is taking this out of reference!!!

it use to be just the week between christmas and new years. Then they expanded it, and expanded it again. Been this way for fuckin years.

Its a good time for them, cause they don't have to pay holiday OT, the workers like it this way. Then they also don't have to worry about coverage and people wanting vacay time during the holidays.

This is fuckin normal...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #38
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

It's normal to close, but they are closing for longer this time around.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #39
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
That was the auto industry's rollup for all primary and supplier jobs if the big 3 folded. I could look up the exact number and quotation if you wish. From memory it was ~1M jobs.

Edit: I also dont believe that just because a company goes into bankruptsy protection means that it will completely fold operations up. companies do it all the time. It however will mean that they can renegotiate their union contracts as well as stop paying benefits to former employees.

check out this:
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...the-big-three/
Old 12-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #40
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:

It would be good to see the actual quote, if possible. Just think though; based on your number that's 1M fewer people paying taxes and receiving an income, with the attendant drain on unemployment support. That's 1M possible foreclosures on property that is worth far less than it was, with little chance of recovering the financial outlay from institutions that cannot take that strain.