Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

if you're dealing with a heavy duty truck, (3/4 or 1 ton) you can still pull nearly as much as an auto if not the same. It's just the 1/2 tons that they put the stupid little mini clutches in.
Of course it is a moot point now with everyone doing away with manual trannies. Can't blame them though they make a ton of money on tranny rebuilds on trucks. Think about it, I bet you know at least two people who have had to rebuild or replace a tranny in a newer less then 75000 mi truck. At the tune of 3-6 grand that's not bad returning money.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
if you're dealing with a heavy duty truck, (3/4 or 1 ton) you can still pull nearly as much as an auto if not the same. It's just the 1/2 tons that they put the stupid little mini clutches in.
Of course it is a moot point now with everyone doing away with manual trannies. Can't blame them though they make a ton of money on tranny rebuilds on trucks. Think about it, I bet you know at least two people who have had to rebuild or replace a tranny in a newer less then 75000 mi truck. At the tune of 3-6 grand that's not bad returning money.
Ford is the only one that doesn't offer at least 100K warranty on powertrain now. So they must be decent now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Triple does that Dodge have PW, PL and Cruise? Or is it a base?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #24
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Ford is the only one that doesn't offer at least 100K warranty on powertrain now. So they must be decent now

Ford trucks are great, but 100k warranty doesn't mean it will pull more. The clutch in the 1/2 ton fords will get you a 3500 lb tow capacity. If they are still using the same clutch as they were a couple years ago it is actually out of a Mazda pickup. It works, I had one with a V6 for awhile, but it won't tow a whole lot. I know guys who are towing a lot more then rated but if you blow something out and they decide you overloaded your warranty is junk.

BTW I love the new style of F150, or well almost new now they they brought out the '09. BUT a lot of people seem to be having a lot of issues with them. Fuel issues seem to be prevalent especially up north. Buddy here just took it up the shorts on his '06 just to get rid of the thing. Glad I didn't upgrade my '02 now.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Ford trucks are great, but 100k warranty doesn't mean it will pull more. The clutch in the 1/2 ton fords will get you a 3500 lb tow capacity. If they are still using the same clutch as they were a couple years ago it is actually out of a Mazda pickup. It works, I had one with a V6 for awhile, but it won't tow a whole lot. I know guys who are towing a lot more then rated but if you blow something out and they decide you overloaded your warranty is junk.

BTW I love the new style of F150, or well almost new now they they brought out the '09. BUT a lot of people seem to be having a lot of issues with them. Fuel issues seem to be prevalent especially up north. Buddy here just took it up the shorts on his '06 just to get rid of the thing. Glad I didn't upgrade my '02 now.
no, just means that the trannys are built better than they were in the past. And I love the 09 F150s

I have the one I want all priced out and printed ready to order... in like 3 years when I can afford it. $39,335 before rebates.

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #26
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
no, just means that the trannys are built better than they were in the past. And I love the 09 F150s

I have the one I want all priced out and printed ready to order... in like 3 years when I can afford it. $39,335 before rebates.
Well we're hoping they're built better anyways. I haven't any trouble with mine. I do all my own maint though. Including pulling the pan every 25K and cleaning the goop out and putting in a new filter and fluids. I do quite a bit of pulling with her so the tranny is my main worry.
I absolutely love the '09 F150. Checked it out at the auto show last weekend. Not bad and it'll pull 11,300 lbs. (properly equipped of course)
Supposed to drive an '09 F250 tomorrow and see what it's like. May just get another half ton. Wanting to go bigger in the RV dept but I could probably keep it under the 150's limit.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

I'd love an F250, but if I went that route I'd want the diesel, and the 6.4L is a POS.

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO

Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #28
wildchild
cruiser

I agree but hard to swallow an extra 7K for a diesel. I'm looking at the V10
Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #29
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
My loan application was shot down.

Son of a bitch.
that sucks. sorry to hear it.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Yeah, they're cheap right now. I know where I can get a georeous 1-ton dodge quad cab, duallie, 4x4 with the cummins diesel with 24k miles for $19k. KBB trade-in value on the truck is $27k. And it's set up exactly how I would want it. Crank windows and locks, cloth interior, quadcab, long bed. Just not in the market right this second and I really don't have anything that I would need a truck that size to pull.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote