Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default I just dont understand this

Tonight was a disaster in the ER, ridiculously busy and we had on ept go down to the morgue on top of everything else. But I digress, it was a rather long wait time last night, and i was still getting people in and out at a decent clip. Now I had a few people starting to complain and make a fuss over the wait. Now thes epeople were here for utter nonsense, and Ihad 2 people who are here with legit problems that need prompt treatment and they just patiently waited their turns and werent thrilled about waiting so long but were just happy that I was able to see them and prety much fix their problems.

Well I am going home in 25 minutes and passing da fuck out.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

What's your avg wait time for an acuity 4/5 (I imagine you have similar triage scores).

We have the largest ER in the province... and when people come in for lame stuff, they can easily wait over 8 hours.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
What's your avg wait time for an acuity 4/5 (I imagine you have similar triage scores).

We have the largest ER in the province... and when people come in for lame stuff, they can easily wait over 8 hours.
Last night was a bit of an abomination in that I walked into a disaster for starters, then lost an hr so helping with a code in peds, and more time draining an abcess. so I was up over 4 plus hrs in fast track. Mind you were a far from typical fast track in that we work up a lot of stuff there becasue we dont have the room in the main ER so we do most of the belly pains and most of the asthmatics, and surprisingly we admit quite a bit from there too.

Even with all the swine flu nonsense which is finally slowing down its usualy under 3 hrs on avg. Most attendings let me run the room so i can get stuff done prety quickly and keep things moving, but a big or complicated lac or other procedure can set me back.

Tom
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

How many beds is your ER?

We get backed up b/c there is no place for admitted patients to go half the time. Too many people awaiting nursing home beds taking up acute care beds in our hospitals.

We see on average... prolly 150-175 patients on a normal day. Many times well over 200...
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
How many beds is your ER?

We get backed up b/c there is no place for admitted patients to go half the time. Too many people awaiting nursing home beds taking up acute care beds in our hospitals.

We see on average... prolly 150-175 patients on a normal day. Many times well over 200...
We get the same backolg with admissions not going upstairs, we have about 40 beds and then add hallway beds as needed, theyre actualy planning to expand the ER and move out one of the clinics on th eother side so we have more room. We used to have a casting room and an ent/ophthalmology room but they were eliminated and became pt rooms. This is all fine and good but its not getting the admissions upstairs any faster. I had had admitted pts sitting in recliners in fast track for over 12 hrs waiting for beds at times.

Tom
Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Wow! This is why I refuse to go to the hospital! Either I hit urgent care or I deal with it at home!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote