Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #91
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Most guys,in my 25 years experience,laugh at dudes that show up wearing full race suits to go on a casual ride. Am I saying they aren't smart? Nope. But it definitely brings to mind tuner wannabes that have fire extinguishers and 5 point harnesses in their Cavaliers or Civics. .
A little off the subject here...but the guys that think that way are in for a world of hurt eventually. I'm one of those full suit guys ....'cause I learned the hard way years ago.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1993 006.jpg (32.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1993 005.jpg (31.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #92
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARputer View Post
A little off the subject here...but the guys that think that way are in for a world of hurt eventually. I'm one of those full suit guys ....'cause I learned the hard way years ago.......
Hey and no one is trying to stop you from wearing total race gear to run to the mail box if you want. I don't care. I just get tired of the elitist full race suit guys calling everyone else squids if they aren't AGATT! I feel that I wear enough protection for the type of riding I do. Considering I've been in quite a few crashes and have sustained only minimal damage seems to support that. BTW road race suits are designed as protection against road rash and not necessarily impact. Since I wear leg armor,I have basically the same level of impact protection you have with a suit. If you hit a car at 150mph I don't think the latest Chicane suit from Teknics is gonna be much help. Other than keeping your corpse rash free,that is. I saw your pics,if you're trying to convince us that you were wearing a leather jacket and gloves and still received that damage,well...

Here's the thing that I appreciate most about Icon and some of the other new brands like Power Trip,Scorpion,etc. They are getting riders who would normally NEVER wear gear before to wear it. Believe it or not,not everyone who rides is an engineer,a computer nerd,etc and can't afford a $2000 custom Z leathers full race suit. I'm just happy that there is gear they can afford. I know alot of you state that if you can't wear your full gear then you don't ride at all...well not everyone feels that way. When there wasn't gear I could wear comfortably in the heat,or I coudn't afford it,I went without. I know alot of guys that do.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #93
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Once again,have you even looked at Icon's website? They make alot of "non-flashy" gear. You put on you A* red,white and blue power ranger boots and I'll put on my all black Icon boots and we'll see who's flashy now!!!
yeah I just got done looking at Icon's web site... and I will concede the point that they do make some non flashy gear... and I think your and my opinion of flashy is different. Flashy to me is shit more for style than function... all the patches and flames... ect... flashy... I don't consider color when calling something flashy... because it's what gets noticed and can save your life... so it's got a function... again IMO.

Quote:
I wore NOTHING but Teknics for 10+ years,why doesn't my opinion count? I've had "top of the line" teknics gear fall apart. A* Gp+ gloves broke 3 of my fingers when my hand got smashed flat against a car because the knuckle armor didn't float like Icon's and the edge "guillotined" my fingers! I own a Dainese jacket that I can't wait to take off when I stop because it's so uncomfortable in anything but a race tuck position!
As for your opinion not counting... you didn't say anything about having Teknic gear... or if you did... I missed it. but I wasn't attacking Icon for not having top quality gear... I merely said that they don't have the track record that A* or Teknic does... that takes time... everyone has to start somewhere.
Quote:
BTW How much time do you spend on the track? Most guys,in my 25 years experience,laugh at dudes that show up wearing full race suits to go on a casual ride. Am I saying they aren't smart? Nope. But it definitely brings to mind tuner wannabes that have fire extinguishers and 5 point harnesses in their Cavaliers or Civics.
as for how much time I spend on a track? 0... I've yet to even step foot inside the parking lot of a track... but I will wear the gear that I feel will protect me to my satisfaction depending on they type of riding I'm doing... if that means I show up to a group ride and ya'll laugh at me? fine... I've been laughed at before... and it'll happen again I'm sure... but I dress for MY protection... not for the visual satisfaction of others. I'd rather be over dressed than under-dressed when/if I go down...
Quote:
Besides, the basis for your "quality" arguement seems to revolve solely around the fact that Icon doesn't make "track gear". So what? I'm not trying to be Mat Mlladin on the street! Believe it or not,Icon has started a trend in street gear that the "unbiased" observer can see the other gear manuacturers following. As far as style,cut and fit are concerned. Anyway,I'm gonna look into actual quality and not perceived quality this week and we'll see.
Your misunderstanding what I'm saying and what I was talking about... I was making a point to Vab's comment... I'm not ARGUING that Icon doesn't make good gear because they don't make track gear... fuck First Gear, Chase Harper, Tour Master all make great gear but don't make track gear... what I'm saying is they haven't been around long and don't have the same rep as the ones I've named before... shit Icon could have the best built gear out there (I doubt it as it's mass produced... hand made SHOULD be better)... but it takes time to build a reputation.

Icon did not start the trend of STREET gear... it's been around a lot longer than Icon... Icon is just the current leader in marketing their gear. Joe Rocket, Draggin Jeans, several others were there before Icon. None were styled as Trendy as Icon has... but that doesn't mean they were the first.

all and all I don't "hate on" Icon... I actually tried to talk my bro into getting a set of Icon boots and pants... they're just not my style... but it's by far better than no gear and defiantly not the worst available
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #94
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Darn,way to kill an arguement Ebbs,yeesh! Oh well,at least you admitted that you've never before looked at their website. BTW Icon isn't the first co. to put patches on their gear. The only Joe Rocket jacket I've ever owned was a replica of a Canadian racer,Steve Crevier. It had all of his sponsor patches,a big number 1 and an aero-hump! My memory fails but I think this was mid-90s. I also think that Teknic was the first to come out with chrome armor. Speaking of Teknic,when they first came out all the A*,Dainese,Vanson,etc guys all said they were junk. I heard,"you wear that crap?" almost everytime I showed up at the parking lot we hung out at on Sat nights.

When I said the Icon had started a trend I was mostly refering to cut. Most racer-boy jackets fall above the waist and fall short of the wrist. Icon tends to go below the waist and the sleeves go to the hand, more like casual jackets as far as fit is concerned. Oh lastly,Icon been around longer than you think. They were originally another company(can't think of the name) which had it's stuff made in Pakistan. They were failing,restructured,changed their name,moved production to China and here you are. Fun fact; did you know that Icon attaches a blessed St Christopher's medal into the inside pocket of all their jackets? It's true! So if you buy Icon gear you've got GOD on your side!!! What better protection than that?!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #95
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well since I don't believe in god... I'd say... luck? naw... I think it's pretty cool...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #96
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
well since I don't believe in god... I'd say... luck? naw... I think it's pretty cool...
BLASPHEMER!!! Oh well,I think this argument has dried up! And he's AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #97
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
BLASPHEMER!!! Oh well,I think this argument has dried up! And he's AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:24 AM   #98
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Icon FTL!
Agreed.

Last edited by DLIT; 03-31-2008 at 05:39 AM..
DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #99
Rider
Moto GP Star

Got my Teknic sport leather pants over the weekend. They fit a little big but oh well. They are tight in the calves though. Hopefully they stretch a bit there. Nice pants, thick leather and comfortable.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #100
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

shit I forgot to check the post office... though it usually takes a bit longer for me...

hum... tight in the calves huh... that might be their down fall for me... the only part of my body that's not scrawny is my legs