Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
under
The only time I can look under my mirror is when I'm crashing. See, I have low mirrors and I'm a tall guy, so no way that's happening.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
There's been great advice in this thread...I learned a few things too

But the best thing said IMHO is

I use to hang off like a friggin monkey thinking I needed too, then I went up to shady valley and rode with Clay for a weekend, and learned a thing or 12.

After a few track days and being told comfort level was the key to getting faster, THEN work on body form as the speed increases, I was able to feel better about the form I had.

What does it matter if you LOOK the part, yet are getting passed by old farts on dual sports sitting straight up?
I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not the type to just "look the part" and in fact have had more than my fair share of giggles at people who do this. I've never been one to throw my knee out for the sake of it and only move around a bit when I feel like it or feel it would help. Really there is almost no need for *most* of my riding (on the street at least).

I think it's a comfort level that will come for me.

I'm working on the smooth first - fast later school of track day riding. I am very smooth and have trained myself to focus on the little things, slowly adding them together. Body positioning is the next logical step for me.

Unfortunately track days are also done for me until April (unless I can swing a trip to Jennings in January).

GREAT advice in this thread! Thanks everyone!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Great thread...thanks for all of the ideas.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

On a slightly off topic note, I saw something that I could use the other day, it was a small plastic gizmo that sticks on the edge of the gas tank to help you lock your knee in it. I've been searching for it and have yet to find it. Its not the pads with small spikes on them that dig into your leg, I tried those and didnt care for em, it sits on the side crease of the tank and just sticks out a bit giving a lip to lock your knee on
Eh......I would be worried about such a device breaking off at the worst possible time.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

What Sean said FTW!

The best advice I got from a female control rider (one built like me) was tits to the tank!! But this only works for tall women, or like myself, women built like spider monkeys! My shorter friends dont have the reach of leg or arm and have to position differently. Find a CR built like yourself and ask her what she does.

I practice my form on the street too, just for fun, so that now, even when taking it easy on the street, I immediately fall into at least somewhat proper form for turns and such, just because its a comfort thing. It just takes practice. *hint* You can also do it going in a straight line to get a feel for it at speed...just saying.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #26
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Take a look at this photo... and before anyone makes a keyboard commando comment... look at the number on his number plate.

Case in point, you need to be comfortable, and develop your own style. Being a little crossed up gives you more ability to work the bars and recover from a moment than hanging off dramatically, although that also has its own benefits. The most important thing is to use a position that allows you to relax your arms, bend the elbow, etc.

Here is one of the other very fast guys from our local series. Drastically different positioning, similar speed.

Last edited by ceo012384; 11-03-2009 at 09:18 PM..
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #27
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post

LOL....he's dragging his knee on grass, nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Take a look at this photo... and before anyone makes a keyboard commando comment... look at the number on his number plate.

Case in point, you need to be comfortable, and develop your own style. Being a little crossed up gives you more ability to work the bars and recover from a moment than hanging off dramatically, although that also has its own benefits. The most important thing is to use a position that allows you to relax your arms, bend the elbow, etc.

Here is one of the other very fast guys from our local series. Drastically different positioning, similar speed.
True.

There will always be exceptions. A few of the very fast guys I know prefer the more upright style in your first picture. Almost every one of them comes from an MX background.

Still, Eric's form is more "textbook" proper.

There is a huge difference in a fast guy with an upright (not crossed up) position and a newbie trying to look like Doohan.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #29
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Well I might get a chance to work on some stuff this weekend.

Bike was put away for the winter but temps have risen and track days are being run this weekend.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #30
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well I might get a chance to work on some stuff this weekend.

Bike was put away for the winter but temps have risen and track days are being run this weekend.
go for it!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote