Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Work with me, kid. You might get a few bucks slid your way. Learn how to work.
Yea...well, I'd run a bike to 3rdgen if he needed it. He's a good guy! Hey, 3gx if you want/need any help finding a bike, motor, whatever... let me know if I can be of any assistance bro!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Well guys, I've got some bad news.... it looks like my bike has taken her last breath at 177,428 miles

I went out and looked at it some more... took the stator out and the rest of the stator cover off so I could see a little better, and the damage is way worse than originally thought. It appears the impact either bent or pushed the crankshaft in... the starter gear is pushed back against the case and a few of the teeth are pushed up against another part of the case. Basically, engine is completely locked up. I tried to turn it and it won't budge. What's even worse, looking behind the flywheel/starter gear the case is also cracked, and the crack goes straight up the case right on the back of #4 cylinder, almost all the way up to the head. One of the mounting tabs is also cracked. So yea... looks like my motor is done for good

I'm literally teary eyed as I'm typing this... I know my obvious attachment to my bike probably seems rather silly to most people, and it very well may be... I'm not arguing that at all. But people gotta understand where I'm coming from too.... this bike and I have been through everything and been everywhere together. It was my first bike ever, I learned how to ride on this bike, and it began my obsession with riding. It's more than just the bike itself though... after I began racking up a good number of miles, I had a goal... I wanted to see at least 200k miles on a sportbike, or at least see how long the engine would truly last when well cared for, since it seemed nobody actually knew the answer as nobody else ever racks up that kinda mileage on a sportbike. After I started doing roadtrips I had another goal... for this bike to take me through all 48 states before it died. I made it through 19 states. After 5 years of working towards my goal, I was THAT close, and then bam, down the drain it goes just like that... all because of an oil patch and a friggin curb. I know it's stupid, but I'm just one of those people that has 'everything' planned out waaaay ahead of time, and when something takes a sudden detour and doesn't go as planned, it really throws me for a loop

Anyways, enough of my emotional babbling. I'm just really bummed that my bike had to end this way. I would have felt much better if it had thrown a rod or something like that, not get taken out by a damn curb while it was still running flawless. I know I'll feel better once I get another bike, it just sucks right now. Time to start looking for a new one I guess, but I'm still keeping this one. Who knows, it may just make a re-appearance sometime down the road! I really don't know what I'm gonna do though as far as getting another.... this wasn't something I was really ready to deal with right now, so I didn't have much $$ saved up. My credit is pretty much shot after being out of work for almost a year and getting behind on a bunch of stuff, so financing is likely out of the question too. Guess I'll just have to see what I get from the ins and go from there... we'll see!

So yea....

RIP, my bike

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #33
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Hey, man, I can completely understand...but, at least you didn't get taken out with your bike.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #34
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Well guys, I've got some bad news.... it looks like my bike has taken her last breath at 177,428 miles

I went out and looked at it some more... took the stator out and the rest of the stator cover off so I could see a little better, and the damage is way worse than originally thought. It appears the impact either bent or pushed the crankshaft in... the starter gear is pushed back against the case and a few of the teeth are pushed up against another part of the case. Basically, engine is completely locked up. I tried to turn it and it won't budge. What's even worse, looking behind the flywheel/starter gear the case is also cracked, and the crack goes straight up the case right on the back of #4 cylinder, almost all the way up to the head. One of the mounting tabs is also cracked. So yea... looks like my motor is done for good

I'm literally teary eyed as I'm typing this... I know my obvious attachment to my bike probably seems rather silly to most people, and it very well may be... I'm not arguing that at all. But people gotta understand where I'm coming from too.... this bike and I have been through everything and been everywhere together. It was my first bike ever, I learned how to ride on this bike, and it began my obsession with riding. It's more than just the bike itself though... after I began racking up a good number of miles, I had a goal... I wanted to see at least 200k miles on a sportbike, or at least see how long the engine would truly last when well cared for, since it seemed nobody actually knew the answer as nobody else ever racks up that kinda mileage on a sportbike. After I started doing roadtrips I had another goal... for this bike to take me through all 48 states before it died. I made it through 19 states. After 5 years of working towards my goal, I was THAT close, and then bam, down the drain it goes just like that... all because of an oil patch and a friggin curb. I know it's stupid, but I'm just one of those people that has 'everything' planned out waaaay ahead of time, and when something takes a sudden detour and doesn't go as planned, it really throws me for a loop

Anyways, enough of my emotional babbling. I'm just really bummed that my bike had to end this way. I would have felt much better if it had thrown a rod or something like that, not get taken out by a damn curb while it was still running flawless. I know I'll feel better once I get another bike, it just sucks right now. Time to start looking for a new one I guess, but I'm still keeping this one. Who knows, it may just make a re-appearance sometime down the road! I really don't know what I'm gonna do though as far as getting another.... this wasn't something I was really ready to deal with right now, so I didn't have much $$ saved up. My credit is pretty much shot after being out of work for almost a year and getting behind on a bunch of stuff, so financing is likely out of the question too. Guess I'll just have to see what I get from the ins and go from there... we'll see!

So yea....

RIP, my bike
That bike was friggin inspirational with mileage it had on it. Save a piece of it and have it mounted somewhere.

Will you be able to part it out or will ins come take it away?

When you get the ins money, may be time to give some thought into putting money into the bank vs getting another bike right away (if $$$ is still an issue). At the very least, plenty of cheap used bikes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #35
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Do you have full coverage?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #36
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Do you have full coverage?
Yup.... everything, thank god, lol

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Yup.... everything, thank god, lol
Sucks Bro!!! Well, it looks like ins will probably give you about $3500 so you may want to save up before looking for a new bike or as I said, I'll be more than happy to try and help you find a ride. I have a friend that owns a used car lot that also sells bikes and he may be able to find us a repo on the cheap. Let me know.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #38
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah barring major snow I'm sure thirdgen will be up for any mayden voyage road trip on his next bike.

The cbr value is the suckage. The bike was "worth" a great deal more than $3500. I understand its real world value. But its a perfect example of the item insured being worth more to the owner than what some paper value says it is.

RIP the highest milage sportbike I've ever known! Your true potential never known. Your exsistance always missed. May ur heavonly roads always be fresh concrete with an endless supply of petro so you never have to stop. May you reach those magestic mountain tops through those twisty mountain roads that go forever into the worlds most gorgous backdrops. *

* I haven't slept in a day, this was done on my blackberry, and who wants me to write their eulogy?
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #39
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yeah barring major snow I'm sure thirdgen will be up for any mayden voyage road trip on his next bike.

The cbr value is the suckage. The bike was "worth" a great deal more than $3500. I understand its real world value. But its a perfect example of the item insured being worth more to the owner than what some paper value says it is.

RIP the highest milage sportbike I've ever known! Your true potential never known. Your exsistance always missed. May ur heavonly roads always be fresh concrete with an endless supply of petro so you never have to stop. May you reach those magestic mountain tops through those twisty mountain roads that go forever into the worlds most gorgous backdrops. *

* I haven't slept in a day, this was done on my blackberry, and who wants me to write their eulogy?

It's the thought that counts.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sucks man.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote