Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Depends on model and what hidden incentives are going on.

At a Saturn dealer I worked at in the late 90's, they were making an average of $1500-1800 gross on new SL's & SC's, with the salesperson taking home something like 20-30% of that depending on seniority. That, on a shitty economy car. Of course, a lot of that was because of their fixed price policy, and consumers being gullible enough to accept it.
I've never been in a Saturn dealer but I can tell you that regardless of make, $1500 is a LONG way from $4000.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I grew up in car dealerships and can tell you for a fact that your numbers are WAAAAYYY off.

$4k per deal...
I just made up the numbers..lol, but you have to factor in the used car dept, which makes more per vehicle than new vehicle sales. Even today, dealer principles my company deals with tell us that light duty sales keep their dealerships afloat.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I've never been in a Saturn dealer but I can tell you that regardless of make, $1500 is a LONG way from $4000.
Well he is probably figuring trucks. I could see $4K gross on a loaded Eddie Bauer or whatever.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well he is probably figuring trucks. I could see $4K gross on a loaded Eddie Bauer or whatever.
As I said I was just throwing out numbers, but everytime I've went into a dealer the first "four squares" payment was some made up high number usually netting the dealer alot. The dealer usually makes it up in the trade in once that vehicle sells.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
As I said I was just throwing out numbers, but everytime I've went into a dealer the first "four squares" payment was some made up high number usually netting the dealer alot. The dealer usually makes it up in the trade in once that vehicle sells.
The "four squares" sheet is a piece of shit. Its only purpose is to 1) get the buyer to reveal all his cards at once, and 2) let the dealer start with high figures and then pretend like he's working in the buyer's interest by crossing those figures out and scribbling in lower ones.

The best way to buy a car is not talk to them at all about whether you have a trade-in or need any financing. Nail down a price for the new car first, before doing anything else. Treat each piece of the deal as its own deal, otherwise they will fuck you over.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote