Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #101
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
This thread is hilarious. The ridiculous reasons and explanations and excuses are pure comic entertainment. For example... I LOVE this little gem:

Wait a second.... so I can become a better rider by going to the track and being a curb squirrel? Shit, I should just forget about track days and leave my bike in the garage. I'll buy some daisy dukes and head up there tomorrow in my car!

I still maintain that time and miles don't mean anything compared to what people think they do. TYPE of miles and a desire to constantly improve technique are what's important. This is three months after the first time I ever sat on a motorcycle which was in my MSF class:
there are some people whom just have a natural ability on two wheels. but ability can be mistaken for experience, and that leads to bad things occasionally.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #102
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I'll agree with ya there CEO... I've got more than 3k under my belt... but less than 3 months total actual seat time and that's broken up over 2 years... I'm still a noob by far!

I do think by 10k though... your no longer a noob... you may still be an idiot squid... but not a noob.
Hell, I have 10k on my bike and I still feel like a noob sometimes. Like yesterday when the freaking rabbit came blasting onto the road right in front of my wheel. Point is, you can ride 100,000 miles and 30 years and not experience everything. Those miles and years do affect your decision making process though. A new rider (lets say <5k miles) simply doesn't have enough experience to properly evaluate their own skills or situations and react correctly in a very wide range of situations.

1HBC if you're not comfortable on the 500, that's one reason to move to a different bike. A perfectly acceptable one. Find a bike you are comfortable on and ride the hell out of it. If you're "upgrading" because someone told you to, or your current ride doesn't have enough power for your amazing skills, you have a lot more to learn.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #103
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Hell, I have 10k on my bike and I still feel like a noob sometimes. Like yesterday when the freaking rabbit came blasting onto the road right in front of my wheel. Point is, you can ride 100,000 miles and 30 years and not experience everything. Those miles and years do affect your decision making process though. A new rider (lets say <5k miles) simply doesn't have enough experience to properly evaluate their own skills or situations and react correctly in a very wide range of situations.
I still consider myself a newb, with .. .hmm.... I guess 13K miles (I haven't ridden in two months, so I can't remember! ) and 2 years of solid, consistent riding.

The day you stop learning is the day you become complacent. The day you become complacent is the day you need to put the kickstand down and take a breather from riding, because you'll become a danger to yourself, as well as to others.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #104
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

i started riding street at age 18 on my first street bike (having extensive dirt background). it was a yamaha YSR50, would now be considered a pocket bike. i was probably the laughing stock of my town, rolling a max 55 mph downhill. but back then i was scared that i wouldn't be able to handle a 250! i rode that thing for a year before upgrading to a 250, which i managed to drop the very first day i owned it in front of all my friends in the taco bell parking lot (they had to pick it up for me, mortifying). after a year of riding, i sold that one to go to school. a few years passed and i decided to get back into riding. what did i buy? another 250. i was scared i couldn't handle a 600, even though my friends said i could. i rode that for another year before trading it up for the 636 i have today. i was still scared the day i picked up the 636 that i couldn't handle it. i finally took the MSF course with this bike and realized i shoulda done that way sooner.

moral of the story: i am still alive today, and i contribute that to starting small (very small) and not listening to what others think.

1HBC, do whatcha gotta do. just keep your head in check. make sure it's what is right for you. good luck finding what you are looking for. and go green, kawis are superior bikes in any year.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #105
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
I still consider myself a newb, with .. .hmm.... I guess 13K miles (I haven't ridden in two months, so I can't remember! ) and 2 years of solid, consistent riding.

The day you stop learning is the day you become complacent. The day you become complacent is the day you need to put the kickstand down and take a breather from riding, because you'll become a danger to yourself, as well as to others.
Damn! Get that bike back and running!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #106
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
I agree 110%

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #107
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Damn! Get that bike back and running!
*sigh* You're tellin me.....

Long story short, Jimmy has been trouble shooting EVERYTHING carb/fuel related, and after speaking with a few other experts who know a thing or two about that bike, they thing it's something electrical now... *sigh*

I can't complain TOO much, cus he's not charging me for labor, and we're still under $200 in parts, but it's 9 weeks now...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #108
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
*sigh* You're tellin me.....

Long story short, Jimmy has been trouble shooting EVERYTHING carb/fuel related, and after speaking with a few other experts who know a thing or two about that bike, they thing it's something electrical now... *sigh*

I can't complain TOO much, cus he's not charging me for labor, and we're still under $200 in parts, but it's 9 weeks now...
Time for a new bike.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #109
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Time for a new bike.
I'm ALMOST at that level of frustration, but not yet... I told myself (since Chris got HIS new bike this year) I'd wait at least another year...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #110
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

F that. DO IT!

Quote: