Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

BTW I did miss one negative involving this type of "all in one" system. They are easy to defeat by snatching them off the wall. FWIW as long as you mount them in a central location in the house, you should be cool. They have a 15 second delay before they dial out. Also, it is possible to add a wireless keypad to my system that will allow you to place the main unit wherever you want or you can just use the remote. There are newer wireless systems that have addressed this problem completely with wireless keypads and wireless sirens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv65r...feature=relmfu
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

That's a problem for most, if not all, of the all-in-one systems. You aren't getting a system that avoids it for anything near what you paid though. A wireless Ademco system like what you would have been installing for ADT with the sensors you listed would cost a hell of a lot more. There are trade offs in everything, and if someone knows what they are doing they could easily defeat the Ademco (and the system you bought) by cutting your cable anyway.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
dubbs
Multistrada

Looks pretty good.. I have a few outside cameras myself that just monitor my front and back yard (to protect my toys), all in one web interface on them that record to SD cards internally, that I can get into it with smartphone or PC. I live in a decent area so didn't think I'd need to go with the whole internal monitoring system.

My GF thinks someone is going into a barn she has w/ a couple horses and is screwing around with stuff. What budget 500gb DVR system did you get?
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
Looks pretty good.. I have a few outside cameras myself that just monitor my front and back yard (to protect my toys), all in one web interface on them that record to SD cards internally, that I can get into it with smartphone or PC. I live in a decent area so didn't think I'd need to go with the whole internal monitoring system.

My GF thinks someone is going into a barn she has w/ a couple horses and is screwing around with stuff. What budget 500gb DVR system did you get?
it's a crappy off brand set-up....

Here's a Samsung kit that is much, much better.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SHR-10...268317&sr=8-21
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
That's a problem for most, if not all, of the all-in-one systems. You aren't getting a system that avoids it for anything near what you paid though. A wireless Ademco system like what you would have been installing for ADT with the sensors you listed would cost a hell of a lot more. There are trade offs in everything, and if someone knows what they are doing they could easily defeat the Ademco (and the system you bought) by cutting your cable anyway.
Exactly true, heck if I wanted to feel REALLY secure, I nice Honeywell set-up would be in order.

BTW if I became super paranoid, I can add a cell back-up.... Oh and the cable would normally not be the first item cut by a thief.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
The motion sensors are >40 lbs installed normally. If your pet is larger than that there are ways to install them to keep the field of view higher off the ground. Otherwise, you could also install glass break detectors or just cover all of the doors and windows in the house. Motion sensors are really just for back up or to save money on areas with lots of windows.
Ya, my dog is 80 lbs and roams about the house when we aren't home. He doesn't get on furniture but he can access the entire first floor and our bedroom on the 2nd floor.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Exactly true, heck if I wanted to feel REALLY secure, I nice Honeywell set-up would be in order.

BTW if I became super paranoid, I can add a cell back-up.... Oh and the cable would normally not be the first item cut by a thief.
Most thieves seem to be pretty dumb, but fortunately smart enough they tend to avoid homes with any security system.

Used to be cutting the phone line was a great way to disable monitoring. With Magic Jack/Vonage/etc phones and phone over cable/phone over fiber (FIOS) cutting the phone and cable is smarter. As you said though, a cell back-up is about as close as someone can get to secure communication.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Ya, my dog is 80 lbs and roams about the house when we aren't home. He doesn't get on furniture but he can access the entire first floor and our bedroom on the 2nd floor.
It probably depends on the motion detector, but with some of them if you install them upside down they don't detect things closer to the floor. I think with any of them you can adjust its field of view based on the angles at which the motion detector is installed.

Some motions have a light that tells you when it senses movement. If the one you get does that then make sure it detects you and then adjust so it doesn't trip for the dog. For a week or two afterward set it with no siren or phone hooked up to see if he trips it during a normal day when you aren't home.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It probably depends on the motion detector, but with some of them if you install them upside down they don't detect things closer to the floor. I think with any of them you can adjust its field of view based on the angles at which the motion detector is installed.

Some motions have a light that tells you when it senses movement. If the one you get does that then make sure it detects you and then adjust so it doesn't trip for the dog. For a week or two afterward set it with no siren or phone hooked up to see if he trips it during a normal day when you aren't home.
Good plans. I should look into this shit.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Good plans. I should look into this shit.
Yea I mentioned that earlier. You can install the dsc motions flat at say 3 feet eliminating the dog problem. Otherwise, I suggest covering all of the windows with sensors and/or getting glass breaks.