Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #201
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Now do the exact same test with standard 3m blue.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #202
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Ill do a side by side comparison on tuesday when I go in if I remember. Judging just from the many times that Ive used the blue tape on different projects, the edges will be a lot rougher and have more bleed through, but Ill see what I can do.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #203
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Wow that green tape looks like it works like a charm.

I noticed the other day at AutoZone that 3M (makers of the blue tape) appears to have come out with a response for the frog brand green tape... there's a green tape they now make that says it is meant for higher adherance and sharper paint line applications... I don't recall if it was cheaper than the frog brand though.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #204
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Wow that green tape looks like it works like a charm.

I noticed the other day at AutoZone that 3M (makers of the blue tape) appears to have come out with a response for the frog brand green tape... there's a green tape they now make that says it is meant for higher adherance and sharper paint line applications... I don't recall if it was cheaper than the frog brand though.
Interesting. Hopefully we'll start carrying that at the depot soon so I can fuck with it too. And yeah, the green tape actually impressed me very much. I was expecting it to just have a little less bleed through but it didnt have any.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #205
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Just a couple little updates...

I'm not sure if it was really due to weight or just because it was so humid recently, but this set of shelves had a couple shelves that were looking a bit saggy, so I decided to throw an extra support on there:

Mounted a whiteboard above my toolchests... should be very helpful for making lists of supplies that have run out and whatnot:

Lastly... I know some of you guys are as anal/OCD as I am... and if so, your detailing products need to come from Zaino. This is hands down the best shit I've ever worked with, and their long detailed instructions on how to care for your finish using their products is very thorough. If you follow their steps, you'll have a mile-deep shine on any vehicle you own:

It's not cheap, but you need to use so little of the product that it's actually a pretty good buy. The full kit with wax, polish, detail spray, car wash, polish activator with mixing bottles, and a couple of their VERY soft applicator pads is about 80 bucks. Check out www.zainostore.com

I think this saturday I might have a bit of spare time and if so I'll head to Ikea to get the workbench top and drawers
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #206
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

that pipe is the shit-bike sounds mean as fuck. almost makes me wana buy a akra for my gsxr750....almost lol

oh yea, painters trick my pops taught me-takes alil skill, and maybe only applys to cars/bikes, but if you pull the tape damn near as soon as you paint it, just lettin it sit long enough to tack i guess, the edge will sorta roll over. feels smooth, but still straight with no bleed, damn near invisible except for the difference in color. never tryed it on a wall tho

Last edited by Dnyce; 07-08-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #207
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
that pipe is the shit-bike sounds mean as fuck. almost makes me wana buy a akra for my gsxr750....almost lol

oh yea, painters trick my pops taught me-takes alil skill, and maybe only applys to cars/bikes, but if you pull the tape damn near as soon as you paint it, just lettin it sit long enough to tack i guess, the edge will sorta roll over. feels smooth, but still straight with no bleed, damn near invisible except for the difference in color. never tryed it on a wall tho
Yeah the pipe is nasty in person. I still haven't ridden the bike though... they always sound different under load (like accelerating not just revving it in place). Can't wait to hear her at redline on the front straight... shit's going to sound like a damn F1 car.

Yeah I considered a trick like that... however the way I taped it all the tape was interconnected and by the time I painted all the stripes the paint on the first stripe would have already bled so pulling all the tape wouldn't have helped some of them.

Also, I needed to do two coats and would have had to re-tape. Good idea though
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #208
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Couple more little things.

My good buddy Ebbs, who is in Korea with the military, got a red sox flag from someone. Since he isn't a huge fan, and he's a nice guy, he thought of me and my garage and shipped it to me. When he told me it was a red sox flag, I assumed something relatively cheap and screenprinted, which would have been fine and still generous.... but this thing is high quality! The material appears to be satin or something like it, and the whole logo is all stitched!!!Friggin' sweet!! THANKS BUDDY!!!!

Picked up a couple little things... some cleaning brushes, 1/4 T-handle since I didn't have one yet, spring puller, cable luber, 3/8 T-handle with spin bearing

Got a sweet deal on a set of ratcheting wrenches... metric, 8-19mm, and have the X-Beam handles for comfort, 112 bucks shipped

Old 07-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #209
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

very nice of Ebbs.

coming along nicely.

where'd ya get the wrenches from?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #210
t-homo
WSB Champion

Damn man. Every time I look I am impressed with how much more stuff you have thought of to get for it. I think you would rival some shops, which is a good thing.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote