Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Crash 1: Drunk does "L" turn into me on freeway to keep from missing exit: All I remember thinking was "WHA......?" 'till I was sliding on my chest.....I was watching my bike endo across two lanes of traffic thinking "$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!"

Crash 2: Leaning into a sharp righthander I'd ridden a hundred times before and one instant I'm sitting pretty and the next I'm sliding under the bumper of a car.... no time to think anything.

Crash 3: Grabbed a handful of front brake in a misty rain on a decreasing radius righthander as the car in front of me spins: as my hand closes down on the brakelever I'm thinking "wrong wrong wrong wrong dummy!!!" thud crash tinkle tinkle sky ground sky ground sky ground and then I tried to stand up while still sliding..... too pumped full of adrenaline to feel the busted pelvis till a few minutes later........I picked that bike up and rode it the few blocks home, and then realized I couldn't get off of it....and boy did it hurt.....

Numerous track crashes.....self talk... "dummy dummy dummy".
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

I still hold to the statement that wrecking in full leathers can potentially be the FUNNEST thing you can do on a bike. Its the aftermath that sucks. its like an asphalt water slide.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

One street crash: I panicked and froze in a hot corner entry, I honestly think there was a dial tone going on between my ears, no thoughts at all.

At the track you get the whole gammut of thoughts that vary depending on the nature and severity of the get off:

NOOOO! Not while I'm leading!

FUUUU-UUU--Ughh, Ugghhh, Ughh. whipmer

Got it! Nope! Got it! Nope! Oh well shiiiiii....

I have the out of body hi-side too. "Hey look I see my shadow, sure is peacefUUUGGH! Earth/sky/earth/sky/earth, hey I think it stopped, UUGGHH, earth/sky/earth/sky, well it must be over I can stand Up, UUGHH, earth/sky/earth.

Where did my bike go? Why is my shield hanging from my face?

Then there was the whole slide into under air fence and into tire wall thing...

Really what goes through your mind right before the crash is not nearly as important as what goes through your mind before you click into gear. You gotta focus on the task at hand, you have to have your affairs in order (insurance, gear, good thoughts about your loved ones). It helps to know that all your friends and family know what you feel for them and that they are aware, should the worse happen, that you are living and enjoying life on your own terms!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
t-homo
WSB Champion

When I almost went down, I was in full leathers and probably would have gone down between 50-60 at the most. I was more worried about my bike being fucked up.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I'd like to remove your thong with my teeth!!!

It isn't germane to this conversation, but I can't help myself.
A Thong in the throat is worth 2 in the bush. I think that was the way it went...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
NEW469
Street Stunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
nothing at all, it was pure reaction until it was over
Yep...That pretty much sums it up.
NEW469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Honestly, it was "oh shit, this is gonna hurt." and "Fuck! Not again!!"
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #28
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

For me I was riding my wife 03 Victory Touring Cruiser back from haivng it inspected in April of 04 a woman driving a blue VW from CT had signaled left then pulled into the left turning lane I was in the right lane going traveling at the 50 mph speed limit. When I was about 30 yards back she suddenly lurches slowly back into the travel lane at about 3 to 5 mph.
Time dialted I came down hard on the binders realized I wasn't going to make it and if I hit the back of her I was going to high side through my windshieeld amd probably her back window, locked the rear ,the rear came loose , pressed down hard on the left side footboard and squeezed harder on the front brake the ass end of the bike slid so the bike was 90 degrees away from the direction of travel all and the bike continued down the highway bars hit them my knee and instinct left over from dirt bike days (25 plus years ago) rolled in and when the knee touched I let go of the bars and did my best to kick free of the bike. I ragg dolled down the road beat the hell out of the helmet breking only my right thumb and big toe.. Minor road rash
The woman never stopped. when I stood back up I had my first thought wich was "you Cee yoU Next Tuesday" Before that for me it was all Decision Making an instinct I fought all the way down. Shook like a leaf for about 30 minuts got home from being looked over in the ER and got on my VIctory and went to see how bad her bike was (minor)
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #29
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

My thoughts in my lowside: "Ok, roll off the throttle, tip it in, little bit of throttle. Damn, that corner keeps going! A Dip, WTF?! Rut! Little more lean. SHIT!! No more front! Hey, sliding is fun! That's gonna be expensive. FUCK FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK FUCK"

I knew I was going to make it through the turn. 5 guys ahead of me made it just fine. I just reached the limit of my front tire, and when it slid I unconsciously released some of the throttle, which put the bike all the way on the ground. The bike did a 180 and slid into the dirt bank. I went feet first behind it and basically slid into first. Had some help getting the bike away from the road, after that I started shaking, and then to a spot where everyone could stop. Big realization was those tires suck, I dicked up by losing throttle, I need a jacket that zips to my pants, and having a wallet in that pocket sucks. Ziptied things down, bent the rear brake lever out, and rode to a lunch stop. Couldn't ride a straight line because my frame of reference was fucked up (windscreen and upper fairings and gauge/mirror bracket were bent to hell), and I couldn't stand to look down at the speedo. Cooled off a bit there and rode the 50 miles home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
I still hold to the statement that wrecking in full leathers can potentially be the FUNNEST thing you can do on a bike. Its the aftermath that sucks. its like an asphalt water slide.
Truth. Am I the only one that thinks it would be fun to test gear occasionally? Like the Draggin' Jeans video- just slide around for a while without worrying about guardrails or trees.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
My thoughts in my lowside: "Ok, roll off the throttle, tip it in, little bit of throttle. Damn, that corner keeps going! A Dip, WTF?! Rut! Little more lean. SHIT!! No more front! Hey, sliding is fun! That's gonna be expensive. FUCK FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK FUCK"

I knew I was going to make it through the turn. 5 guys ahead of me made it just fine. I just reached the limit of my front tire, and when it slid I unconsciously released some of the throttle, which put the bike all the way on the ground. The bike did a 180 and slid into the dirt bank. I went feet first behind it and basically slid into first. Had some help getting the bike away from the road, after that I started shaking, and then to a spot where everyone could stop. Big realization was those tires suck, I dicked up by losing throttle, I need a jacket that zips to my pants, and having a wallet in that pocket sucks. Ziptied things down, bent the rear brake lever out, and rode to a lunch stop. Couldn't ride a straight line because my frame of reference was fucked up (windscreen and upper fairings and gauge/mirror bracket were bent to hell), and I couldn't stand to look down at the speedo. Cooled off a bit there and rode the 50 miles home.

Truth. Am I the only one that thinks it would be fun to test gear occasionally? Like the Draggin' Jeans video- just slide around for a while without worrying about guardrails or trees.
thats almost identical to what happened on my last get off. cept i hit a guard rail.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote