Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Went for a little slide on my back

This morning I went over a friends house to watch him start up his new (very used) bike for the first time. A late 70's CB750. Anyway after a few tries he got it fired up and took it out for a spin came back and I took it out for a spin. The back brakes weren't on the bike and there is a ton of other shit wrong with it, no lights, super stretched chain, a ton of general maintenance stuff that needs to be done.

Anyway I threw on my helmet and ran up the street and back down toward the dead end court he lives in. Get up to about 30 on my way back and go to slow down and grab a handful of brakes and. Nothing. The brake lever fell off in my hand. So I'm doing 30 on a bike with no brakes going into a cul desac.

A quick downshift to first maybe a second worth of engine braking then bam, hit the curb thrown off the bike slide for a second on my back and manage to make it back to my feet and run to a stop before the bike stopped sliding. I don't know how fast I was actually going when I hit the floor but it wasnt too fast because I landed flat on my back and sorta sprung back up to my feet. Not in any pain or anything and I dont think my head hit the floor.

No damage to the bike, not worse than it was already anyway. Well, it totally could have been worse.