Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #61
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

My favorite feature is stepping down to shift. It's so fucking easy. And when you're fully tucked, you don't have to reach underneath to upshift. And preloading the shifter for clutchless upshifts is easier, too.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #62
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Another feature is it's a lot harder to down shift, which is actually a good thing because downshifting too much can be a bad thing for newb riders at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #63
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

This is such a bullshit conversation. Laughable at best.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #64
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Here's the last statement. If you haven't tried it, shut the fuck up. It's way more convinient. I say that because I've tried it. People who haven't tried it have nothing to say about it except for why they haven't tried it.
There we go. Spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Think about it. All of the benefits of GP shift are mainly on the track, where you're riding at 9, or even 10/10ths. It's faster to push down on the shifter than it is to get your toe under the lever and pull up. That split second can make a big difference when you have to perform an emergency stop on the street.

You don't likely need to perform an e-stop on the track, as there aren't any dumbass cagers to pull out in front of you. However, on the street, there are many dumbasses that can pull out or turn in front of you. Therefore, you want the quick tap down for the downshift to help use engine braking to slow you down. Since you shouldn't really be riding at 9/10ths on the street, regular downshift is better for those, "oh shit, you stupid mother fucker, don't you fucking see me??!!" downshifts. No other benefit that I see for regular shift, though.
I see your point about being able to tap down multiple gears quickly i.e. if you were in 6th and tapped down all the way to first maybe. But my downshift time is on par with what it was before I switched, so now there isn't a difference. Also, in an e-stop if you do it right the engine braking isn't helping you anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I'm just to damned old...my muscles and nerves have benn lifting for upshifts for over thirty damed years
That's a fair reason... I think it helped me that I hadn't even been riding a year when I switched. After one full day of riding, it was second nature.

If I end up with multiple bikes, I'll just put a little piece of tape on the gauge cluster that says GP or Reg to remind me at the track. But all bikes I own will go GP if it's possible from now on. So much better.
Quote:
You don't understand that once you're use to GP shift, it's the same reaction...it comes natural to shift up to downshift.
Yeah it's really second nature now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's really more for a clearance issue in left turns.
It helps a ton when coming out of a right hander hard on the gas and hanging off.... for example, turn 4 at NH going up the hill. It's a great place for highsides so I stay hanging way off to conserve lean angle and tap off an upshift with my foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
This is such a bullshit conversation. Laughable at best.
What's laughable is your stream of short wiseass comments in a thread you know absolutely nothing about.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #65
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
You don't understand that once you're use to GP shift, it's the same reaction...it comes natural to shift up to downshift. The only time I mis-shift now is when riding normal geared bikes, like my wife's 250. Shifts take forever because I have to think "down to downshift, up to upshift".
It's like anything else, once you get used to doing it, it becomes 2nd nature..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Yeah it's really second nature now.
Swear I didn't see that...
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #66
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
What's laughable is your stream of short wiseass comments in a thread you know absolutely nothing about.
What is there to know? You push down for an upshift. Hmm...that was easy to figure out. See, I'm an expert now, just like you.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #67
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Another feature is it's a lot harder to down shift, which is actually a good thing because downshifting too much can be a bad thing for newb riders at the track.
A lot harder for you, maybe. I'm fine with it.

Quote:
What is there to know? You push down for an upshift. Hmm...that was easy to figure out. See, I'm an expert now, just like you.
I know what tits feel like, does that mean I can go around telling everybody I'm fucking your mom?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #68
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
You are missing the point of what I said, it's easy to downshift with gp shift, but comparing it to press down to down shift it requires more effort/concentration on the part of the rider to press up than to press down and not as easy to double downshift past the gear you need to be in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #69
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:

I know what tits feel like, does that mean I can go around telling everybody I'm fucking your mom?
I see the comparison there.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #70
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
You are missing the point of what I said, it's easy to downshift with gp shift, but comparing it to press down to down shift it requires more effort/concentration on the part of the rider to press up than to press down and not as easy to double downshift past the gear you need to be in.
I hear ya. Practice, practice, practice.

Quote:
I see the comparison there.
Snootchie bootchies.