Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #21
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

13 miles is not that much to me...and I'm 210 5'10 height. But...I used to pull sled often and have a high capacity for high intensity loading.

In 2.5 months you are not going to magically make your body adjust to the pounding of the ground unless you loose 30lbs of that fucking weight. People over 200lbs shouldn't be running long distances as it's killer on the knees unless you are 6 foot 8 at 230lbs.

You need to focus on low intensity cardio to burn fat, combined with endurance running combined with high intensity training to increase your VO2 max.

I never understood why people who don't regularly workout all of the sudden want to do a "marathon". Seems retarded IMO, but whatever.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-31-2010 at 03:08 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If I thought it was fat id say it was fat I'm consistantly heavier than similarly built guys by at least twenty lbs. Made for some lulz when the drill sgt was trying to use me to demo an overhead throw :P you musta been a stick at 200. I haven't been that since hs, even when I was doing the 2 mile in low 13s
Shoot bro, when I joined I was 161 lbs.....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

My sister runs full marathons. But she's been training for it for years.

Have fun, sucker!

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #24
t-homo
WSB Champion

I can't wait to hear the post-race write up about how much he hates himself.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I never understood why people who don't regularly workout all of the sudden want to do a "marathon". Seems retarded IMO, but whatever.
My guess, being one of the people who rarely works out, is that the most people wish they worked out, but lack motivation to actually get out and hit the gym. Signing up for a marathon would not only be motivation, but be on a timeline so they know they can't fuck around.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
13 miles is not that much to me...and I'm 210 5'10 height. But...I used to pull sled often and have a high capacity for high intensity loading.

In 2.5 months you are not going to magically make your body adjust to the pounding of the ground unless you loose 30lbs of that fucking weight. People over 200lbs shouldn't be running as it's killer on the knees unless you are 6 foot 8.

You need to focus on low intensity cardio to burn fat, combined with endurance running combined with high intensity training to increase your VO2 max.

Kind of my thought too. The only time I considered it was back when I was actually a distance runner and could run 12+ miles without many problems. Now I lift but dont do nearly as much cardio and have considered training for halfs and possibly even a full marathon but I dont like all the work that it would take to get in good enough shape to do well at either of them.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
I can't wait to hear the post-race write up about how much he hates himself.
Yeah, be sure to wear a bra, brah.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I did it. and I'm more out of shape than you are. At least I was. I went from not being able to run/jog for 2 minutes to finishing the half marathon (13.1 miles) in 2:59.31 - under 3 hours and running the entire race, no walking. I'm only 5'-6" and over 200 pounds - was about 220 when I started training.
My training plan started with a walk/run interval - the training plan was actually for doing intervals for the race but I started really pushing myself and was able to do the training distances all running, no walking.
My plan is here (fine print - I'm NOT a doctor or an expert of ANY kind. This is just what worked for me). It's a 15 week plan but was adopted from a 12 week plan - there's some repetition near race day that can be trimmed.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...4cm5udzU&hl=en

I did a race report too: http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15419

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
In 2.5 months you are not going to magically make your body adjust to the pounding of the ground unless you loose 30lbs of that fucking weight. People over 200lbs shouldn't be running long distances as it's killer on the knees unless you are 6 foot 8 at 230lbs.

to each their own.
MY reason: set and ACHIEVE a goal. My body takes the "pounding" just fine - I have great knees, hips, back. I've lost some weight (about 40 pounds) but I'm still over 200 pounds and still running. I've got a 'short' 8k tonight. You don't have to LOOK like an athlete to BE an athlete.
and I DID make my body "magically" adjust. I wasn't the fastest out there but I wasn't the slowest by long shot. So fuckyouverymuch.
To each their own.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #30
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Ok understanding drewpy is a moron is easy.

But wtf is up with the man bleeding nips?
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote