Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default Running?

Anyone here have a running computer? I wouldn't mind having one that keeps track of miles/kms pace and so on. What do you have? I was thinking of Nike+ but I would have to buy a pair of shoes that use it, buy the unit (I should be able to get a discount on that with the new job) and buy and Ipod (should be able to get a deal on that as well). At that point I think I would be over the price of a watch type run computer.

So does anyone have any info on this? I would like something that can upload to a computer so i can keep track of my progress.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

I know Garmin makes several models - from cheap and simple to expensive and complex. Seen lots of the local runners in the 5Ks with them.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I have a Nike + and I cannot say enough great things about it.

You're a bit mistaken on some of your info though. You can use any shoe and put the adapter on the top of the shoe. I thought it would get in the way but you don't even notice it.

Also, you don't need an ipod. I have the wristband one as I don't listen to music when I run.

It's a GREAT tool to be able to track pace, distance, time, etc. Also, on the nike + website you can create goals and challenges for youself. You can join teams, challenge other people, map, etc.

I give it two thumbs WAY up! PM me if you want more info.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I have a program on my iphone. It is a great motivator!! I end up competing with myself. Worth the money if you get one!!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I've been meaning to get a GPS unit. You can find some nice onces for $100 if you look around. Garmin has a very good one for running for $150 but REI often has them on sale.

GPS is the way to go. You can track elevation changes, exact mph, pace, etc.

Run without music (unless on a treadmill). It helps out so much running without it.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Run without music (unless on a treadmill). It helps out so much running without it.
I never believed this until I tried it myself. I count and it's helped me improve so much!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I never believed this until I tried it myself. I count and it's helped me improve so much!
I only use music on the treadmill (because I'd go insane listening to the gay club music my gym plays). I use to use an MP3 to run (and sometimes mountain bike) but when I started doing duathlons and triathlons, MP3 players are not allowed and then it became so much easier.

I have thought about getting those underwater mp3 players for swimming. That shit can get boring as hell.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I have a Nike + and I cannot say enough great things about it.

You're a bit mistaken on some of your info though. You can use any shoe and put the adapter on the top of the shoe. I thought it would get in the way but you don't even notice it.

Also, you don't need an ipod. I have the wristband one as I don't listen to music when I run.

It's a GREAT tool to be able to track pace, distance, time, etc. Also, on the nike + website you can create goals and challenges for youself. You can join teams, challenge other people, map, etc.

I give it two thumbs WAY up! PM me if you want more info.
I'm a man. I'm never wrong. The specs must have changed since I make the post. :P

Thanks I didn't know that you could hook it to your shoe. I also forgot about the wristband. I do remember seeing that in a store one day a month or so ago. That might be an option. I will have to see what kind of price I can get on the sensor at work and then check other stores for the wrist bands.

Thank you.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Run without music???? I would rather put my dick in the blender. LOL. I need my music playing when running. Thats one of the things that helps e get off my ass and run, I like to be by myself and listen to music at times.

I even bought a 5.1 computer speaker set for my garage so I can train in there using my mp3 player or laptop to play music.

James
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Can't say I have one that does all this, just a heart rate monitor that tracks my calories, time, splits, and heart rate.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote