Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Rant for today

Why do I have to enter my account number into my phone to proceed to the next menu, or speak to a representative, if they will only ask me for the same info again? This probably amounts to literally thousands of man hours wasted each year, and yet every time I ask why, the answer is invariably the same:

"It's a new computer system, and we just don't have that information available to us at this time".

Oh really?

/rant
Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Why do I have to enter my account number into my phone to proceed to the next menu, or speak to a representative, if they will only ask me for the same info again? This probably amounts to literally thousands of man hours wasted each year, and yet every time I ask why, the answer is invariably the same:

"It's a new computer system, and we just don't have that information available to us at this time".

Oh really?

/rant
If I call a company that has voice recognition I just speak gibberish into the phone until a 'representative' comes on the line. It's fun to cuss at them too, "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize that.."
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

Automated phone systems FTL. Why the fuck do I need to dial one for English? And please when someone does pick up the phone please speak English as well.

Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Yeah, that pisses me off too. Don't waste my time.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It's probably used to make sure you're an actual customer instead of a prank caller or cold caller.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I will agree. However, having worked the other end of it, I can speak from experience and say that we had no idea why you were calling. The automated system routes you to someone best able to handle your call (or at least it should) and the rep on the phone simply sees your account on the screen when the call comes in. We always asked for your account number because we had no clue who you were. For all we know, you could have punched a bunch of random numbers into the screen. That said, I would always try to ask your NAME. If the name was the same as the one on the screen and you had multiple accounts, I'd ask which account you wanted to talk about.

We had certain things we had to verify to make sure we were talking to the account owner, but sometimes it helped to ask the account number just to hear how the person answered. We could look at how long the account had been opened and get an idea if they were who they said they were. If some guy called me who'd had his account for 15 years, but had to read the account number off a piece of paper, something would seem fishy and I'd press for more info than was just required. It was just simply one of the things I did, but wasn't necessary for the job.

But I agree, it is annoying to punch your number into the phone, only to have the person ask you what the number was. And yes, sometimes the systems would not populate your account on the screen, but I always let the person know that when asking for the number by saying, "I'm sorry, but your account didn't come up when you called in. Could you tell me your account number so I can bring it up, please?"
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I will agree. However, having worked the other end of it, I can speak from experience and say that we had no idea why you were calling. The automated system routes you to someone best able to handle your call (or at least it should) and the rep on the phone simply sees your account on the screen when the call comes in. We always asked for your account number because we had no clue who you were. For all we know, you could have punched a bunch of random numbers into the screen. That said, I would always try to ask your NAME. If the name was the same as the one on the screen and you had multiple accounts, I'd ask which account you wanted to talk about.

We had certain things we had to verify to make sure we were talking to the account owner, but sometimes it helped to ask the account number just to hear how the person answered. We could look at how long the account had been opened and get an idea if they were who they said they were. If some guy called me who'd had his account for 15 years, but had to read the account number off a piece of paper, something would seem fishy and I'd press for more info than was just required. It was just simply one of the things I did, but wasn't necessary for the job.

But I agree, it is annoying to punch your number into the phone, only to have the person ask you what the number was. And yes, sometimes the systems would not populate your account on the screen, but I always let the person know that when asking for the number by saying, "I'm sorry, but your account didn't come up when you called in. Could you tell me your account number so I can bring it up, please?"
Never thought about that. Makes sense, but still annoying.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

that all makes sense EXCEPT i don't care how long i have a cell phone account i will always have to read the number off of the bill or whatever. probably why it takes them a bit to believe it's me when i call in. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
that all makes sense EXCEPT i don't care how long i have a cell phone account i will always have to read the number off of the bill or whatever. probably why it takes them a bit to believe it's me when i call in. LOL
Yeah, there are very few account numbers I have memorized. Bank account is about it.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I hate that crap too and then have to verify address...blah...blah...blah when I'm just calling to ask a simple question about something.

I understand about establishing ownership of the account but it's still annoying as feck.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote