Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Default My Angeles Crest, CA ride today...(pics)

**Just copied and pasted from our local board, should still be entertaining**

Woog, Asmith, Pat and I head out from Vegas around 0730 for a trip out to Cali. For Pat and I it was just a day trip, Woog and Asmith are staying the night and riding some more tomorrow.

So we get to Baker in 40 minutes. Victorville in about an hour from Baker. We get some food and head out to Angeles Crest. I have never been there before so I follow Woog through it. Holy shit, this road is so sick. It's literally well over 50 miles of smooth twisties!

So there we were...50 miles deep into Crest, 85 miles on that tank of gas. And we run into this!

And Asmith's fuel light is already on! Something's wrong if it comes on after 85 miles. And there's a gas station about 15 miles PAST that gate blocking the road. Anyways, might as well take a pic...

There's no way in fuck Aaron (Asmith) is gonna make it back to a gas station if we turn around. Improvising had to happen.

Woog, how'd you get over there???

Wait, how did we all get over there??? And manage to pick up a guy on a VFR...

Woog went first, did some scouting and reported back with the news. "There's a trench in the road." Fuck!! "Can we cross it, woog?" "Maybe. There's a patch of really soft sand we all might be able to walk our bikes over, if we all help move one bike at a time." That's pretty much our own option. Fuck it, let's go...

Bam! We get to the trench and the sand's not looking the greatest. It's right at the edge of a 3-foot-deep trench. And just as wide across, just about. They're all over there reinforcing the sand with some nearby sand bags. I'm thinking "There is now way I'm risking my bike through that shit." Woog mentions laying these road signs nearby across the gap and nobody really did anything until I had that thought. So I grab the sign and lay one down, and the other on top of it. Success!!

We all get over real easy. So we're hoping that's the worst of it and the ONLY reason why it was closed. As we proceed down the Crest, there's several spots of more road construction going on. Workers and everything were there...we got some pretty funny looks, with them knowing there's a fat trench in the road, lol.

One of the foreman warns us about the CHP at the exit. Sure enough, there certainly was. We get nabbed shortly after the exit.

The best part of this story is the ticket we got. "Failure to obey road sign." Hahahaha, we fucking used one as a bridge! The cop obviously must not've realized where we came from, bypassing gates and bridging it over trenches. Not sure what the fine total will be, it can't be too bad though...

Great fucking ride/experience today, boys! Let's do it again real soon!

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

lol
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

LOLOLOL....sportbike punks. hahahahah

Could of went with you guys....and I could have told you ACH was closed. What was the VC number on the ticket? Cost of a generic Failure to Obey Traffic Sign is 146 bucks, but since it was a Construction Zone, they may double it. Need the VC number tho to be sure.

Did the CHP chew you out? CHP are dicks up there. I'm sure he chewed you guys out.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
LOLOLOL....sportbike punks. hahahahah

Could of went with you guys....and I could have told you ACH was closed. What was the VC number on the ticket? Cost of a generic Failure to Obey Traffic Sign is 146 bucks, but since it was a Construction Zone, they may double it. Need the VC number tho to be sure.

Did the CHP chew you out? CHP are dicks up there. I'm sure he chewed you guys out.
Well shit then. Had he known what we went through to get to him, we'd probably be in a holding cell, lol. He didn't chew us out at all. Just didn't believe me when I told him we didn't have a choice, fuel-wise (the truth). I still don't think he realized we came from across the trench. Too lazy to go get the ticket in the garage now...

And I'll be going back to SoCal soon enough. I'll PM you when I do.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

^^^Cool...I've only been to ACH three times. There is always CHP up there, the road is closed or there are fires. Due to this shit, I usually ride the local roads.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

ACH is a gorgeous road that countless bikers have died on. I haven't ridden up there in years for all the ghosts. Beautiful area though. Can't believe you drove all the way from vegas to do ACH.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
DLIT
Clit Commander

The plan was to hit Malibu too. But that ate up some time and my buddy had to get home for something this evening. I was telling myself there must be all types of people dying on that road. Some of those corners can sneak up on ya. Some tire marks were in some pretty bad spots. There was some rocks in some corners but overall, great ride.

It only took us two hours to reach Victorville, too. We weren't going slow at all getting there, lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

ah man that's great. Gj getting the pics to go with the story on this one.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Did you map out the gas station locations in advance? Or were you just guessing there'd be one up ahead?

And how far in the opposite direction was the last station? Most bikes can go another 30-40 miles after the light comes on, so.....

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-23-2010 at 06:38 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote