Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600
Default Help Make a Difference!

Hey guys, below is a letter from a friend of mine, we are currently working on this project together. This is just one of the many things we are working on for this group and I am hoping that a few of you might take a couple minutes to help us out.

If you can take a couple of minutes, write something up, send it to me via PM (with your full name please) and I will paste it into the template addressed to ABC and print it out for our package. We would greatly appreciate it!

I know you arent locals, but these folks pay out of their own slim pocket for buses to go all up and down the east coast to military bases to get these military members and their families down here to get in the program and given the opportunity, they'd like to do it nationwide. Words can't really do justice for what these folks are doing, but if you're ever in the area, they'd love to show you what they do and tell you why. They have an incredible story and so do the folks they work so hard to help.

Quote:
I am a writer, photographer, and documenter of the lives of extraordinary people, and I am putting together a short video documentary along with an application, photos, and 500 letters, for Mike and Debra Randall and their Hopes and Dreams Riding Facility INC out of Quitman, Georgia; with a STRONG belief that they deserve an ABC Extreme Makeover. And an even stronger belief that if this application package is put together like planned, then Ty Pennington will be shouting at their front door in the near future.

I need your help in writing a letter of nomination for them to receive an ABC Extreme Home Makeover! Just write up a few sentences describing why you think they are deserving and send it back to me by August 20th. But please take a minute to understand exactly what they do, and why they deserve this help!

If you are unaware of what they do, they provide free equine therapy for wounded warriors, and combat veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. They operate out of their ranch in Quitman, Georgia, and serve approximately 500+ veterans and their families, as well as a few odd cases that show up for help each year. They refuse money for these services, and most importantly feel like our military hero's need somewhere they can go to deal with physical and emotional stresses from war. Without worrying about how it will be paid for.

You can see their story at www.hopesanddreamsridingfacility.com

Currently they have plans to bus down entire units from about 4-5 different states along the eastern United States; usually 80-100 troops at a time on each bus. The troops can bring their families, they camp on the Randall's ranch, and ride horses, fish, kayak, swim, hunt, and take advantage of free counseling and physical therapy services. They are provided every meal, transportation, tents, and gear by the Randall's.

The Randalls are selfless people, giving up renovations to their own home (which is in not so great shape) to provide proper equipment, helmets, harnesses, food for the horses, and anything necessary so that no single person will ever be turned away from their ranch. And even now, they don't want to have anything fixed in their home if it means they can just get a barn, a cabin for troops to sleep, and a big cook house! These troops deserve more then a tent!

These soldiers have given limbs, lives, hearts and minds for this country, and the Randall's want to give a little bit of their own blessed country-side to these soldiers. No charge, just because they know it is needed.

With that background, I am trying to collect at least 500 letters of nomination from anyone that believes in what they are doing, and feels it important to get them the facilities, equipment and tools they need to keep up with the massively growing demand on them.

If you know of anyone else that might be willing to show their support, please forward them this request!
Edit to add, we wont be selling or sharing your info with anyone other than ABC when we send the letters, so people wont be contacting you randomly about this!! If you feel better leaving off phone number and email, please feel free to do so!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 08-12-2010 at 09:54 AM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

Where's the template?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Here it is, but if you just feel like writing something up I will insert it for you. We dont want them mailed directly to Lock and Key as it will have more impact as a HUGE set of letters versus a few mailed in seperately, so please make sure to PM me.

Quote:
Lock and Key Productions
C/O Family Casting
5160 Vineland Ave, Suite 107
PO Box 419
North Hollywood, CA 91601

Your Name
Address
City, State, Zip
Phone number or e-mail address
Date, 2010

Dear Lock and Key Productions and ABC,

Use this space to explain why they need to give the Randall family an extreme makeover. Tell them how Hopes and Dreams Riding Facility, Inc. has helped you or changed your life.

Make sure to ask ABC to help the Randall family now! Please give them an extreme makeover.

Sincerely,

Your first and last name,
Your job title, military branch, whatever you want to put here
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Really guys? Really?

We can whine and moan about bad cops, and kids, and post up random silly news articles all day long but all of you guys who are so PRO our military and complain about nothing good ever being done anymore can't take 5 minutes or less out of your day to do a good deed and help out?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Really guys? Really?

We can whine and moan about bad cops, and kids, and post up random silly news articles all day long but all of you guys who are so PRO our military and complain about nothing good ever being done anymore can't take 5 minutes or less out of your day to do a good deed and help out?
"By August 20th"...right ?

I'm all for this and think they are great for doing it. I'll try to remember to send something in a pm before the 20th.

I've heard good and bad about Extreme Home Makeover but these people do seem deserving for sure.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

I know if I dont remind ya'll it will fall to the wayside. Besides, it really doesnt take more than a moment to say "these folks have a great program, they are in need, ABC come help"!

I got to go out last night and help out. They allowed me to work with one of their favorite patients, a young man with a true miracle story. It was not only a total blast, but a learning and rewarding experience for me. Seeing his happiness and having so much fun while learning and working, not to mention knowing his story, makes for a very poignant and incredible time.

He was a bright young man, with a future in football and while playing received a severe concussion and was told he'd never play again. He decided death would be better and attempted to shoot himself in the head. He survived, was plaved on life support for several months. His parents made arrangements for his organs and the moment the pulled the plug, his heart started beating on its own, and he started breathing on his own. The Dr.'s said he'd be a vegetable for the rest of his life, never walk or talk again. Not only does he walk, talk and ride a horse with help, he interacts socially with people, he has a girlfriend, and while not the same guy he was before the incident, his is truly a success story. THIS is what these folks do.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Really guys? Really?

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Personally, I was hoping for a little more insight from the template.

Quote:
Tell them how Hopes and Dreams Riding Facility, Inc. has helped you or changed your life.
I haven't heard of H&DRF until your post.

I am all for helping out. It sounds like what they do is a great cause. Give us something to work with for those of us that aren't familiar with the cause directly.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

I'm aware of that, however what these folks do speaks for itself. I'll be ashamed of some of my friends on this board if they cant take a couple minutes to help out. I know it's by the 20th, however Im not a big procrastinator, and for something quick and easy, why wait?

Happy to do so. Please see my above post...first hand account of my own experiences.

I wish ya'll were closer and could talk to these folks and to those they help. Meeting the "patients" as well as their families that come out and support is so awesome. Hearing the stories that Mike and Debra tell about some folks that came for help and left lifelong friends is tear jerking. I cant wait to help out with a big event, they have a few planned for this fall. We're already trying to figure out where we can get tents for the folks coming out.

These folks literally open up their small house, beg and borrow tents and equipment for camping, purchase and cook food on an outdoor grill for all these visitors, and work with them either riding or just being around the horses as well as getting certified therapists to volunteer their time to help these guys and gals with whatever they need. And they do this seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Edit to add: Another success story...my friend who is heading up this project has a 17 month old with Cerebral palsy, caused by stroke at birth. Her Dr.s told her a few weeks ago they'd given up on her walking. After a couple of sessions she is now able to use her toy shopping cart and walk around the house, on her own, unaided, using both legs, something she couldnt do a month ago. Granted she's not great at it yet, and she's still lacking movement like she needs, but she is WALKING and using the left side of her body.

Last edited by the chi; 08-12-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Bump!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

think i seen something about them on tv once. i'll hit you up with something tomorrow. I'm out of here for the night now.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote