Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets
Default Miata Gremlin

So, this ridiculous little car had a gremlin. We actually got lucky how we found it. I was down at the track, my daughter was at home. She was going to go hang out with a friend. She went out to start the car and nada - nothing - no lights, turning over, zilch. The good news was, she was at home and no one needed to be anywhere.

She had hooked it up to the jump box, and it wouldn't even get lights on the dash. That only happened after having it hooked up for about 10 minutes. So, she called me just to let me know someone else was driving - the car was at home disabled.

We pulled the battery and took it to Sears. It took them an hour to diagnose it on their computer, battery tested fine. That just had me thinking it was alternator. Poo.

My daughter had mentioned the radio stayed on the last time she was in the car. As in, stayed on when the key was out and in her hand. So, I got into the car just to see what it was doing. Turned it on, fired up fine. Turned it off and sure enough, the radio stayed lit and on. After 30-seconds the key light and others turned off as they should. But, the radio stayed on. In my frustration, I opened the glove box to get out the manual thinking maybe there was a switch we missed somewhere. When I closed the glove box, the radio turned of. My daughter and I just looked at each other... I did a Fonzie tap on the dash and the radio came back on. If that wasn't fun enough, it would just spontaneously turn itself on, it didn't need to be jostled to do it. I went out to the car in the morning and the radio was on with the clock at 2:26. So, it had been on for almost two and a half hours.

OK - so it's "just" a short!! YAY! I mean, Boo!!

I pulled out the radio and this is what I found:

That Yellow/Red/Black twist didn't appear that it should be there...

Um, where does it GO??!??!

Yup, that's right, it's not connected to anything. It looks like someone had installed something themselves and then just clipped it off and shoved it back behind the console:

And, upon closer inspection, it's just twisted and zip tied on...

Under the zip-tie/tape:

Let's make it better, shall we? The genius also broke off the tab to remove it from the back of the radio.

I just got in there, clipped them all off to clean them up. Then put some weatherproof connectors and shrunk them. From what I can tell, most of these radios short out anyway from condensation. So, I just broke out the connectors we use for the bikes and boats...

Battery is charged. Tested it out, so far - so good. What gets me, to not even install it right in the first place is one thing. But, to just clip off the wire and leave it dancing in the dash is another level of genius.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

That's a whole different level of un-awesome. Glad it was a relatively simple fix, though.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
That's a whole different level of un-awesome. Glad it was a relatively simple fix, though.
I just can't focus too much on that live wire dancing in the dash with my daughter driving it. Makes me want to punch the previous owner in the face.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

What could it possibly have gone to that it would have come through the dash like that?
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
What could it possibly have gone to that it would have come through the dash like that?
I've seen a few guys that have data links for track work... but, those are usually mounted onto the car as they measure G-forces as well as times. I don't seen anywhere that something would have been bolted on. So, who knows.

This guy was so adamant the car hadn't even been on a track for a DE. Maybe too adamant. The dumb part, I don't care about THAT.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I was thinking lights for the stereo or a shitty amp wire job
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I just can't focus too much on that live wire dancing in the dash with my daughter driving it. Makes me want to punch the previous owner in the face.
You have my number... I have ski masks...

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

It was a prolly some punk ass kid that did the radio install. Typical hack job.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
It was a prolly some punk ass kid that did the radio install. Typical hack job.
This is my vote.

When I put the new stereo equipment in my car, I found the most janked up, piss-poor, sorry ass excuse for wiring I've ever seen. Some people just have no pride in what they do, regardless of whether it can be seen or not.

I had the interior of my car out for a week. I was very methodical in running wire, keeping everything tidy, etc.

I've seen some real hackjobs recently on the last 2 bikes I bought too. Just once I'd like to buy something and not have to tear out a bunch of crap wiring.

I'm glad it was a relatively simple fix Moira!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
You have my number... I have ski masks...
And access to high caliber weaponry....and a sweet 1098....and um....uh....what were talking about again?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote