Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade
Default Vacation?

So it seems everyone has a different idea of vacation. Whenever I hear someone say that they are going to sit by the pool and read a book in some exotic location, all I can say is....you can't find a fucking pool in your neighborhood to do that?

I am of the opinion that if I do not require a day or two off after my vacation to recover from my vacation, then I wasted my time. Granted, I don't have a hectic life and I suck at relaxing so a relaxing vacation sounds like lame-ville.

What do you think?
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
So it seems everyone has a different idea of vacation. Whenever I hear someone say that they are going to sit by the pool and read a book in some exotic location, all I can say is....you can't find a fucking pool in your neighborhood to do that?

I am of the opinion that if I do not require a day or two off after my vacation to recover from my vacation, then I wasted my time. Granted, I don't have a hectic life and I suck at relaxing so a relaxing vacation sounds like lame-ville.

What do you think?
I'm with you. i cant go somewhere and do something like read a book by an exotic beach, unless it is in between doing other stuff. And yes I usually require a day or two after vacation to relax in the house
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
shmike
Follower

Agree with the above.

I go places I want to experience.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I travel a lot for work, so I get to experience new places quite a bit while on the company dime. On my own vacation time, I'd rather slow the pace way down, preferably in a place where the sights/sounds/temps/etc. are different from home. Sitting in a chair outside reading a book in the mountains somewhere sure beats sitting at home doing the same thing.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I do both, mainly because my wife is of the relaxing kind. It is nice to go on a relaxing vacation over a hectic vacation sometimes too. My trip to cali and back wore me out. I don't really feel like I got a vacation from work and just feel completely burnout right now and need another vacation. That's why I like something like a cruise every once in awhile, because you still get to see a lot of shit and you don't have to worry about hardly anything. You get a lot of recover time with a different experience at every port.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I usually stay home when I'm taking days off (which is rare) because I travel so much. Why the fuck would I want to get on another plane, in a car, on a train, etc on my day off when I do that all the time for work?

People ask me where I'm going on my rare days off and I just shake my head and walk away.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I travel a lot for work, so I get to experience new places quite a bit while on the company dime. On my own vacation time, I'd rather slow the pace way down, preferably in a place where the sights/sounds/temps/etc. are different from home. Sitting in a chair outside reading a book in the mountains somewhere sure beats sitting at home doing the same thing.
This. Sometimes a staycation (or a vacation to somewhere quiet) is just what the doctor ordered. Other times, I am going somewhere with the express intent of seeing as much as I can. Both are fun, but both have different purposes for me.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post

What do you think?
If your in a pool in your own neighborhood you are too close to home. Also that one might be packed with 60 kids. Plus you have laundry to do, grass needs to be cut. Don't forget about those rotten boards on the deck that need to be replaced. You have been busy for weeks so now is a good time to get some much needed cleaning around the house done.

Why was it that you were wondering why people like to go away to relax?

I talked to a guy at work that turns his phone off as he is leaving from work for his vacation and doesn't turn it on till he comes back. Everyone has a different form of vacation.

For me I would want to go see things. I can hang around the pool at night. One day by the pool would be nice but I like to go see a few things.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Back when we had the RV-We did a lot of brain dead vacations. Basically mountains or beach and relax.
Lately everywhere we go there's SCUBA involved. So usually the only relaxation is the last day for our surface interval so we can fly home.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I usually stay home when I'm taking days off (which is rare) because I travel so much. Why the fuck would I want to get on another plane, in a car, on a train, etc on my day off when I do that all the time for work?

People ask me where I'm going on my rare days off and I just shake my head and walk away.
Good point. Family travel (especially by plane) makes business travel seem like a freakin' vacation.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote