Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
shmike
Follower

Default Wigger what?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...151717544.html

Quote:
A former student at Red Wing High School in Minnesota is suing school officials for failing to stop a group of students from celebrating what they called "Wigger Day" during homecoming week in 2009.

The federal class action suit, available on Courthouse News, says that the school failed to protect Quera Pruitt, a black student who graduated in 2010, from discrimination by ignoring the racially-charged way of celebrating homecoming week.

The student council officially designated Sept. 30 as "Tropical Day." But Pruitt alleges that more than 60 upperclassmen instead declared it "Wigger Day," around a pejorative term formed by combing the words white and nigger. Those students wore "oversized sports jerseys, low-slung pants, baseball hats cocked to the side, and 'doo rags' on their heads," according to the suit.

Though the school is predominately white, Pruitt's lawyers say about 40 students suffered from the "racially hostile" environment created by "Wigger Day." The suit claims that Red Wing's principal knew that Wednesday of homecoming was "historically" called "Wigger Day" but didn't stop the students.

Pruitt says she felt extreme stress and depression, to the point that it led her to drop out of cheerleading and the student council, and almost made her stop going to school altogether. She is suing for damages. Her lawyer, Joshua Williams, tells The Lookout that Pruitt is now living in Little Rock, Arkansas, and attending community college. He added that the Education Department's Office of Civil Rights "imposed several remedial measures" on the district.

Red Wing School District Superintendent Karsten Anderson, who is named as a defendant in the suit, said in a statement to The Lookout that the district "denies the allegations that it has created a racially hostile environment and looks forward to meeting these allegations in court." He added that he couldn't comment further since the litigation is pending.

Department of Education Spokesman David Thomas says its Office for Civil Rights entered into an agreement with Red Wing School District to "take all steps necessary to ensure that African American students enrolled in the District are not subjected to a hostile environment on the basis of race, color, or national origin, and includes several specific actions by the District." They are still monitoring the district for compliance.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I understand some of the students being upset about the use of the word wigger. But I think that being upset about the white students dressing in a style that you see worn every day is pushing it a bit.

I'd like to see what some of them wore. It's probably look quite stupid and be funny.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
dubbs
Multistrada

So she's suing for something that has absolutely nothing to do with her.

Makes sense.
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
felt extreme stress and depression
Buck up and fucking deal. You're in high school - what the fuck are you gonna do when you get into the real world?

What pisses me off the most about this is that there are people who battle every day with real stress and depressive disorders and these fucksticks have to throw "stress and depression" around because they got all but hurt about a school function that wasn't even really officially called what they say it was called. They're basically minimizing the problems that people who REALLY suffer from these disorders have to deal with.

UGH

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Buck up and fucking deal. You're in high school - what the fuck are you gonna do when you get into the real world?

What pisses me off the most about this is that there are people who battle every day with real stress and depressive disorders and these fucksticks have to throw "stress and depression" around because they got all but hurt about a school function that wasn't even really officially called what they say it was called. They're basically minimizing the problems that people who REALLY suffer from these disorders have to deal with.

UGH
"First world problems"....
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
"First world problems"....
Good point.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
She'll continue doing what she's been doing, because that is actually how the real world works now unfortunately. So easy for a squeaky wheel to get greased these days.

In fact, I'll bet high school is actually harder than real life for people like her.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
She'll continue doing what she's been doing, because that is actually how the real world works now unfortunately. So easy for a squeaky wheel to get greased these days.

In fact, I'll bet high school is actually harder than real life for people like her.
Sad truth in there.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

so she's out of high school and not hot enough to score a sugar daddy? what could she do to get some free money but..................hey I'll sue because one day made me quit cheerleading, and council, and...............oh the horror. just pay me. now.......
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I should of sued my high school because they did "farmer day" and made fun of rednecks. That was racist.
No kidding. We have "ride your tractor to school day" (still do) and I didn't have a tractor to ride

We used to dress in certain clothes when we were playing a rival team, to poke fun at them. I believe they did the same to us and no one got butt hurt over it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote