Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple
Default Speaking of Crappy UI

Offshoot from the Win8 thread. Anyone else been using Office 2013? Holy crap. And I mean crap. What is it with this push to bland, boring, construction-paper mock-up looking UIs? Google Mail, Windows 8 Metro, etc. It's horrible. And some of the nicest small features here and there (like in Outlook, having the whole folder name in bold face when there are unread items in it, not just a tiny bold number next to the folder name) are gone. The UI literally looks like the crap in the old days of LINUX and shareware, where free also usually meant free from any aesthetically pleasing menus or interfaces.

I had to uninstall and go back to Office 2010 on my workstation and VMs, save for one test VM I need it on.

To MS:
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I would rather stick with 2003 -- It requried less clicks, because you could put all the toolbars at the top and just use the pulldowns. The new versions require you to click a particular tab such as "Edit" and then look across from left to right to find the function you need.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Offshoot from the Win8 thread. Anyone else been using Office 2013? Holy crap. And I mean crap. What is it with this push to bland, boring, construction-paper mock-up looking UIs? Google Mail, Windows 8 Metro, etc. It's horrible. And some of the nicest small features here and there (like in Outlook, having the whole folder name in bold face when there are unread items in it, not just a tiny bold number next to the folder name) are gone. The UI literally looks like the crap in the old days of LINUX and shareware, where free also usually meant free from any aesthetically pleasing menus or interfaces.

I had to uninstall and go back to Office 2010 on my workstation and VMs, save for one test VM I need it on.

To MS:
What about underlying functionality? Anything noteworthy?
Have you seen anything yet that improves on 2010?

Does suck if the UI turned redmond hipsterville. Outlook is the one application on my PC's that I actually give a crap about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I would rather stick with 2003 -- It requried less clicks, because you could put all the toolbars at the top and just use the pulldowns. The new versions require you to click a particular tab such as "Edit" and then look across from left to right to find the function you need.
For the past 10 years I've kept up to date with MS office.
2003 was ok but I felt Office 2007 was much better overall.

Office 2010 has been excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Haven't used it enough to notice any significant difference in underlying behavior / functionality. Haven't seen any new shortcuts to doing things, etc. The UI is truly hideous. I have a hard time getting beyond that. Really.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Haven't used it enough to notice any significant difference in underlying behavior / functionality. Haven't seen any new shortcuts to doing things, etc. The UI is truly hideous. I have a hard time getting beyond that. Really.
changes
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc178954.aspx

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
The idea is that the new look will help you focus on your work rather than being distracted by the objects decorating your screen.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20126...fice-2013.html

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I haven't used it yet because I wasn't involved in beta, and it hasn't been added to our site license yet. I can definitely say that I'm rather sick of change for change sake, rather than actual improvement. Office 2007 was a change but it wasn't a big enough change to screw over long-time users. Office 2010 completely screwed over people who had gotten used to the old UI. Changing it again, just when people are getting used to the last set of changes, is bloody idiocy. It impacts productivity.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I haven't used it yet because I wasn't involved in beta, and it hasn't been added to our site license yet. I can definitely say that I'm rather sick of change for change sake, rather than actual improvement. Office 2007 was a change but it wasn't a big enough change to screw over long-time users. Office 2010 completely screwed over people who had gotten used to the old UI. Changing it again, just when people are getting used to the last set of changes, is bloody idiocy. It impacts productivity.
Tell me about it.. that's how the VP of our institution got involved in a little dispute between our department and another. I can't wait to switch the rest of the users over..
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Really?
I thought Office 2007 ribbon business was the bigger change and that Office 2010 was more just a evolutionary change.

I prefer 2010 over 2007 BUT I'm not an excel\powerpoint nazi some other folks are.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Really?
I thought Office 2007 ribbon business was the bigger change and that Office 2010 was more just a evolutionary change.

I prefer 2010 over 2007 BUT I'm not an excel\powerpoint nazi some other folks are.
The ribbon was certainly a big change, but it was vaguely comprehensible. Then they changed the ribbon and moved crap around. I'm a 5 finger typist and a right-clicker, so it doesn't give me much trouble. The people who are heavy menu users have a much worse time of it.

I have more issues with 2007/2010 that involve trying to find where to set permissions/defaults.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote