Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R
Default exhaust standards?

I get the AMA letter and this was in it, thought I'd share in case some didn't get it.

Quote:
New stationary on-highway motorcycle sound test standard released by the Society of Automotive Engineers International (SAE): The SAE has produced a simple, consistent and economical sound test standard that can be used to determine whether a streetbike (on-highway motorcycle) exhaust system emits excessive sound, the AMA reports. The procedure is the result a long-term project of the Motorcycle Industry Council and the Society of American Engineers. The J2825 "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles," issued by the SAE in May 2009, establishes instrumentation, test site, test conditions, procedures, measurements and sound level limits. According to the SAE, the J2825 standard is based on a comprehensive study of a wide variety of on-highway motorcycles.
The creation of a new street motorcycle sound measurement procedure was a top recommendation of the 2003 National Summit on Motorcycle Sound, expressed by its Motorcycle Sound Working Group. The AMA organized the National Summit on Motorcycle Sound to pull together riders and user organizations, representatives of the motorcycle manufacturers, the aftermarket industry, racing promoters, government agencies, and others to develop proposals regarding the increasingly controversial issue of excessive motorcycle sound.
The SAE J2825 standard can be downloaded on the SAE website for a fee of $48.80 - $61.00 at: http://www.sae.org/technical/standards/J2825_200905
Quote:
Boston, Massachusetts: In an attempt to silence community concerns regarding excessive motorcycle exhaust sound, the Boston City Council fast-tracked enactment of Docket 0658 (An ordinance regulating the noise levels of motorcycles) on June 3, 2009. A public hearing was held May 26 before the Committee on Government Operations. The new ordinance mandates that all on-highway motorcycles built after December 31, 1982 must have either OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or aftermarket exhaust systems that comply with the US EPA labeling provision in the Code of Federal Regulations. Violations will result in a $300 fine.
Source: http://www.cityofboston.gov/citycler...5805312009.pdf
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
zed
yellow don't corner well

Florida People should be happy.

Quote:
Florida: Senate Bill 1100, authored by Senate Transportation Committee, changes the definition of a motorcycle to exclude a vehicle in which the operator is enclosed by a cabin, unless the vehicle meets the requirements set forth by the NHTSA for a motorcycle. The bill also removes the requirement that a motorcycle or moped license tag be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground, but adds a provision that "No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used." Governor Charlie Crist signed the bill into law on June 16, 2009.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
zed
yellow don't corner well

California motorcycle smog test proposal pulled. Thanks to the efforts of thousands of AMA members and other concerned motorcyclists, the sponsor of a proposed California law to require motorcycles to undergo periodic exhaust emissions testing has pulled the bill and it is no longer expected to be heard during the 2009 legislative session. The measure, Senate Bill 435, which was introduced this year by state Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica), would have required all model year 2000-and-newer on-road motorcycles with engine displacements of more than 280cc to be tested every two years. Riders also expressed their concern that the bill could require motorcyclists to always have a stock exhaust system, whereas automobile owners are allowed to install aftermarket systems, which can be less costly.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

That's all fine and good, but if Boston (or any other municipality) has it's own idea of how to test sound levels, why would they bother spending $48.00-$61.00 on the SAE standards procedure?

If the AMA wants to help, that test should be free.

JC
Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes
Talking

sweet. fuck u, franny
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
That's all fine and good, but if Boston (or any other municipality) has it's own idea of how to test sound levels, why would they bother spending $48.00-$61.00 on the SAE standards procedure?

If the AMA wants to help, that test should be free.

JC
I was wondering why there was a range in the price. I didn't go look though.

edit, just looked. SAE member price is $48 for everyone else it's $61
Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

i think sound limits are a good idea. Go to the gap and hear the dumb fucking douchebags with the pipes that about bust your ears. Sorry, I like my hearing. If you want to be a douchebag with a loud pipe, do it away from people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
i think sound limits are a good idea. Go to the gap and hear the dumb fucking douchebags with the pipes that about bust your ears. Sorry, I like my hearing. If you want to be a douchebag with a loud pipe, do it away from people.
bikes go by here all the time and rattle the whole freakin' house and wake up my 15 month old. Drives me freakin' nuts.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
california motorcycle smog test proposal pulled. Thanks to the efforts of thousands of ama members and other concerned motorcyclists, the sponsor of a proposed california law to require motorcycles to undergo periodic exhaust emissions testing has pulled the bill and it is no longer expected to be heard during the 2009 legislative session. The measure, senate bill 435, which was introduced this year by state sen. Fran pavley (d-santa monica), would have required all model year 2000-and-newer on-road motorcycles with engine displacements of more than 280cc to be tested every two years. Riders also expressed their concern that the bill could require motorcyclists to always have a stock exhaust system, whereas automobile owners are allowed to install aftermarket systems, which can be less costly.

thank you jesus ill send you muffins
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote